Head of Boy Scouts gives public apology for Trump's weird speech on Tuesday

That needs to be in the Resist thread, seriously.

Nice job.

4 Likes

They did. They apologized for the conduct. Theoretically he could have someone write a decent script and it would have been fine.

1 Like

Great link; thanks. The BSA leaders sure are fine role models for Scouts, aren’t they.

The actual head of the BSA is ATT CEO Randall Stephenson whose clear priority was to, um, how can I put this? Stroke Donald’s ego to ensure that the Time Warner takeover goes through. That he had no problem abusing the Scouts – which is what having Donald address them was, says just everything about the state of the nation.
And if the best the BSA is to say Sorry now, well, not enough. Nowhere close to enough.
And they worry about gay scoutmasters because every gay is a pedophile. But a corrupt head of the BSA, that’s acceptable.

7 Likes

“But honestly, I’m not sure why he’s apologizing. Shouldn’t that come from Trump himself?”
Well, he obviously needs to apologize also, but the Boy Scouts need to apologize not just for hosting creepy inappropriate uncle grabby, when it’s damn clear what you get when he shows up for an event, but that he was able to turn the event into a Trump Youth rally.

He’s got so many of those, though. Afterwards, people were commenting that an event like this would destroy the political career of anyone else, but how many “career destroying” things has Trump done, with no serious impact to himself? I’d think this might end up being more damaging to the Boy Scouts.

Yeah, and by taking that approach, it taints the organization, fairly or not, with the idea that if you’re not a Trump supporter, the Boy Scouts aren’t for you.

Why would he? That would imply he was somehow wrong about something. That’s never the case for a man who warps reality to fit him being right all the time, and when he (rarely) actually gets called on it, it was someone else’s fault.

Yeah, they and all the other groups premised on “moral” issues that threw their lot in with him have now all been revealed to be morally bankrupt, and that’s going to haunt them in the future.

11 Likes

shouldn’t it be more to the parents:

we’re sorry we sent your children to listen to a man talk about doing drugs, demeaning women and having orgies. It’s been a long standing tradition of ours not to have your kids listen to people who might start rambling about this stuff like a rapey uncle at Thanksgiving when it turns out there isn’t any cocaine stuffing in the Turkey this year, but obviously in this instance we have made a really big mistake.

9 Likes

“Fine! I’m sorry I gave such a beautiful speech. Really, really beautiful. It was incredible. People kept telling me—people you wouldn’t believe, I’m telling you, it was beautiful. Because these Mexican gangs, they don’t care. They’re animals, it’s incredible. But Hillary Clinton… I’m telling you, folks, if she was in office! It’s incredible, isn’t it? I’m very, very glad we were able to—and they said it couldn’t be done! The map looks so bad for a Republican. So bad, so bad. In conclusion, I accept your apology.”

20 Likes
7 Likes

Like some others, when I read this “apology”, I thought it was extremely mealy-mouthed. Obviously the BSA got scared when they read about all the parents threatening to pull their kids out of the BSA, but they also didn’t want to offend all the Trump-supporting parents, either.

For a “non-political” organization, they sure are trying to be politically correct.

3 Likes

That’s definitely how I would have characterized the BSA’s treatment of the matter of homosexuals…

3 Likes

That isn’t a solely political matter, though. It’s more of a social one in many ways.

What do you mean?

What do you mean what do I mean?

Their behavior on it has less to do with politics or political parties and more the culture and intertwined “morality” code they traditionally had which is lagging behind the times.

Politics and the rest of society has some overlap, but not every issue is purely political.

They also do lots of stuff that is pro-environment, pro-recycling, and I know many Scouts have used such things for projects. No one making snide comments that they are doing so for political reasons.

1 Like

So they do some things that aren’t political. Got it.

Doesn’t everybody?

1 Like

I was specifically asking what you meant by social but not political.

Hmm I’d say it has far less to do with their morality code than it does with the churches that made the BSA program a part of their youth groups. Maybe that’s what you were referring to as well.

When people began to question the ban, the BSA’s choice to double down at the behest of conservative chuches was decidedly political, especially during the civil rights push for SSM .

I assume that’s because they are supposedly taught to leave no trace, and there is nothing controversial about that, is there?

3 Likes

Trumps update as follows:

7 Likes

I agree that probably had something to do with it. Though I think the leadership of the BSA had the brunt of the responsibility. See, I’d venture to say most churches are fine with homosexuals attending church or being scouts. Ironically, pretty sure my pastor growing up was gay, and the current priest is gay. For some churches it is a hot topic, but Methodists, Lutherans, and lots of other churches really don’t have a hard-line policy. I imagine this varies region to region.

I assume you are correct.

This is just another reason why the Boy Scouts are drying up. Now that the Mormons have pulled out, there’s not much left to work with.

I wonder how much longer the “Believe in a God” remains though. (Regardless Christian or not). World Scouting movement is removing the God reference from the Scout promise. The line is now “Be true to my spiritual belief”.
This change is now in effect in Australia (Which is part of the World Scouting Movement, of whom BSA is also a member)

1 Like

My favorite part of this affair is the fact that Trump mentioned Loyalty (one of the Scout Oath tenets) in context of not getting loyalty from his subordinates … when the whole point of the Scout Oath is to be loyal to others, which given the Sessions shenanigans, I mean …

What a braindead … just unbelievably tone-deaf capital M Moron.

7 Likes