"Brain-eating" amoebas kill woman who used filtered tap water in neti pot

Yup, kind of like inserting contact lenses in your eyes, you get used to it.

8 Likes

Just add… water!

7 Likes

Only if the hotel bathroom doesn’t have a bidet.

9 Likes

TMI, dude, TMI…

2 Likes

Yes, that stood out for me as well.

1 Like

It’s kind of freaking me out. I don’t live in Seattle, but if it can happen there it can happen here! Maybe I should call my water district and ask what they’re doing about the brain-eating amoebae.

I thought we were already seeing super-amoebas emerge.

4 Likes

Its amoebae, they’re ubiquitous. Just how there’s a thin veneer of fecal matter on literally everything in the world there will be amoeba everywhere in the water. If you shoot said water into your nasal passages you’re gunna have a bad time.

Never. Ever. EVER. Use tap water for neti pots.

2 Likes

This article https://www.popsci.com/brain-eating-amoeba-spreading suggests it’s due to climate change. Great. We’re not safe anywhere! I don’t use a neti pot or any of those nasal irrigation things, and I’ll just keep it that way thank you very much. I like my brain where it is.

[Edited to add a missing apostrophe]

From what i recall, there are also amoeba that can survive in a city’s water system. The chlorine will kill most things but not everything, so regardless of weather there’s usually going to be something in the water. Most are going to be harmless but you still dont want to shoot them into your nose (for those that do use the neti pots).

The really aggressive ones are the ones one typically sees in warm water, but there are definitely other ones lurking elsewhere.

1 Like

My wife would probably suggest that so long as I don’t use tap water enemas, I will be fine.

3 Likes

It’s good that most of the extremophiles are actually pretty chill; because you really wouldn’t want pathogens with names like “Pyrococcus furiosus” or “Strain 121” floating around; those are rated for flagellum twirling cartoon villainy if they were villainous.

4 Likes

Doesn’t Seattle still use open air water reservoirs for their city water?

I swear by it - I haven’t had a sinus infection in over a decade, and I used to get them all the time. It’s kind of gross, but it seems to do the job. Or maybe it’s just placebo, but either way, I’m fine with it.

4 Likes

The waters are getting warmer as the climate heats up. They’ve found them in Spirit Lake up by Mt. St. Helens.

2 Likes

I’ll admit, it feels pretty gross when you’re doing it. But it also feels pretty good when you’re done. I don’t like doing it because it makes me gag, but it really does help when your sinuses just will not clear.

9 Likes

…Unless you don’t. (Many people never can get used to such invasive things.)

5 Likes

They have been covering them up. And making nice parks over the top of them as well.
The only open one near me has been kept empty for quite a long time though.

2 Likes

if you are unlucky when waterskiing you can get a lot of water into all sorts of places.
happened to a “hypothetical friend”, lets just call him Mr. Bee Hole

7 Likes

With proper treatment and microfiltration open air reservoirs are totally viable.

2 Likes