Bravado and a lack of business acumen leave Musk facing a $1B penalty for his Twitter fiasco

That’s worse.

7 Likes

So he wasted more money fucking around with Twitter than the former alleged businessman president is worth in all of his business and grifts. Yeesh!

12 Likes

reeks of it.
can't breathe eric cartman GIF by South Park

14 Likes

He has no staff. You are still 100% correct.

3 Likes

My favorite part of Devs:

“He’s not a genius, he’s an entrepreneur.”

7 Likes

There needs to be a stable genius of the month award. I was going to say yearly but that wouldn’t begin to cover it.

3 Likes

Bravado and a lack of business acumen leave Musk facing a $1B penalty for his Twitter fiasco

And that’s the charitable explanation of what’s going on. The other is that this is just an excuse for Musk to bow out, because he had leapt into buying Twitter purely as a tr0ll maneuver and it was finally beginning to dawn on him what he had stuck his foot into, and he had developed the slightest glimmer of a notion that he was completely over his head.

The whole “there are more bots than they said” as a sticking point doesn’t make sense/reflect well on him. For one, why would he care? Because that means there are fewer real users? He was advancing plans that would have caused a mass migration off the platform (and lead to more bots), so he obviously doesn’t care about that. He just doesn’t like bots and was realizing that it’s a really tricky problem to deal with them? He really should have already realized that, just as a Twitter user.

Whatever the real reason, it’s indicating Musk just doesn’t think things through.

A stoned tr0ll suffering major Dunning-Kruger? Because that’s Elon, and I’m pretty sure that’s what was motivating him to buy Twitter.

Writer Charlie Stross was suggesting this was a rash mid-life crisis purchase, as he couldn’t buy a supercar (he already owned the factory), and couldn’t start dating a model/actress/pop-star (Grimes just left him for Chelsea Manning), so he had to find something else… but I think it’s a more basic reflection of who he is.

Lately he’s been way too busy reading white supremacists on 4chan or wherever.

The expression “easy come, easy go” leaps to mind. The money came pretty easily to Elon, after all.

Elon’s going to win it more than once. In fact, I suspect he’ll be more and more likely to win in the future as he becomes more erratic over time, as his wealth and drug use continue to do a number on his brain.

11 Likes

Musk’s situation is not related to criminal charges, but the title of one of Ron White’s books seems to apply here.

“I Had the Right to Remain Silent … But I Didn’t Have the Ability”.

I wonder how much that inability is eventually going to end up costing Musk.

7 Likes

what a surprise, who could have foreseen this, etc.

6 Likes

Pretty sweet for Twitter if the deal falls through.
When you see a $1-billion bill on the sidewalk, you pick it up.
“Anyone else want to make flippant tender offers? No?”

7 Likes

Blind, stupid serial luck. Multiple successes, many luck.

(actually enough successes that I think it is more then luck, but luck is a big chunk, and given how much of an ass he is I’m happy that some ill-luck has floated his way, especially since it hasn’t significantly impacted SpaceX or Tesla which I think make important products, likely largely in spite of his leadership…which I know conflicts with me saying there is more then luck going on, I could claim that I think he is good at the startup phase, but really I’m just conflicted on his value, and maybe influenced by not actually liking him as a human)

3 Likes

It’d almost be worth having Steve Jobs back so we can learn his thoughts about Elon Musk’s endless stunts.

OK, that actually made me laugh out loud.

I would let Elon live in my house for a few weeks, but I would make him sign an agreement that says if he spoke to me he would owe me one billion dollars. (He would still have to give me free weed, tho.)

Anyway, I came here to comment on the line from the article:

The poop emoji he (Musk) responded to Twitter’s CEO with demonstrates his deep understanding of his situation.

Musk wasn’t saying the Twitter CEO’s comment was bullsh!t, he was actually realising what he got himself into and is saying, “Oh sh!t!”

4 Likes

All he had to do was shut the eff up. But he can’t because he thinks everything he says is perfect like some other butthole that got banned from the same platform. No wonder professionals run the other direction whenever he tries to hire or get them.

4 Likes

Quote from Altucher’s article you posted:

Today I have no address. At this exact moment I am sitting in a restaurant and there’s no place for me to go to lie down.

OK, that would be a complete deal-breaker for me.

1 Like

I think that back when those kind of articles were popular, I tried to call it “voluntary nomadism” rather than homelessness.

Having been homeless, I know there is a massive difference between the two.

12 Likes

See Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

8 Likes

Like many people who behave like sociopathic narcissists, he thinks he can talk his way out of anything. And thanks to lots and lots of money, he’s usually right that he can talk his way out of anything, not that he was actually right.

4 Likes

Elon Musk says Twitter buy ‘cannot move forward’ until spam stats spat settled

[…]

Twitter management is still keen on selling to Musk. Agrawal said he was looking forward to continuing talks with the billionaire. The biz filed a preliminary proxy statement with the SEC reiterating Musk’s offer to purchase Twitter at $54.20 per share in cash. “Twitter is committed to completing the transaction on the agreed price and terms as promptly as practicable,” it said in a statement.

“The transaction is subject to the approval of Twitter stockholders, the receipt of applicable regulatory approvals and the satisfaction of other customary closing conditions, and is expected to close in 2022,” it added.

Musk previously promised to front $21 billion from his own fortunes, while the remaining $25.5 billion will be backed by Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Barclays, and others via debt financing. He sold $8.4 billion worth of Tesla shares to help finance the deal, too, and secured another $7.14 billion from investors. If he backs out of the deal, he may have to pay Twitter $1 billion in penalty fees.

Twitter declined to comment. Its share price is about $38.30 apiece, down 18 percent over the past five days.

4 Likes

:rofl: As if Twitter is going to suddenly admit that a large percentage of their total users are spamming bots or meatbots.

The advertisers would pull a Musk and pretend to be surprised, other stockholders, corner executives, etc.

“We’re as shocked as anyone!” = True, because no one really would be.

4 Likes