Brave try at world sparkler record fails on technicality in Wyoming

There is lots of space for huge explosions in Wyoming.

1 Like

well that went off like a damp squib.

1 Like

Yes. It is in fact a drop in the bucket. The event that brought a bunch of humans together to laugh and play together, probably cost a few hundred dollars in sparklers, and those hundreds of people definitely emitted vastly more CO2 driving to the event, then they did in burning a few sticks. Your guilt at the symbolism you made up in your own head is equal parts worthless and misplaced.

In fact, I’d venture to guess that this event probably emitted less CO2 than pretty much all other events bringing to together humans in a group of equal size. I know that the symbolism drives you crazy, because burning stuff reminds you of CO2, but it is misplaced. This was a low CO2 event (compared to other events) that brought together people for harmless fun. This is the sort of thing people should be doing in eco-topia instead of going to a clubbing or whatever.

This sort of mentality is why I hate performative environmentalism. It makes people care more about worthless symbols of something rather than environmental reality. If we want to reduce CO2, we should put a fucking price on carbon, not moralize at people gathering a group of humans together to have fun and do literally no harm to the planet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.