Breaching humpback whale surprises rowers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/24/breaching-humpback-whale-surpr.html

4 Likes

I couldn’t make out much of it, but the woman who was on the outrigger kept saying “calm down”.

4 Likes

That moment when you become aware there is a whole ‘nother world beneath the surface.

3 Likes

Paddlers or canoeists not rowers (might be the same word in Portuguese)

4 Likes

that’s some less than once in a lifetime shit right there, and the fact that it is caught on camera…amazing!

5 Likes

All these spectacular videos you see nowadays are amazing, but I fear they give people the wrong expectation for what actually happens if you go out in nature: for the most part not a lot of anything.

2 Likes

Will people never learn? Vertical video is never correct.

4 Likes

She could have been lunch cuz you got to watch when you’re out there especially if there’s a lot of little fish around because they come straight up with their mouth open to go up eat fish up and if you’re there you’re going in his mouth too

3 Likes

Just ask Jonah.

3 Likes

As a podgy hairy bloke in his fifties, I resent the fact that whales will only reveal themselves to pretty ladies in bikinis. Exclusionary or what. Tsk.

5 Likes

Man - Wow. What is it?!?
Man - This! This ! This! Take the oar!
Woman - Marcela!
Woman - Whoa Marcela! You crazy!
Woman - Calm down, calm down.
Man - Did you record it?
Man - Slowly… forward…
Marcela - I ḿ holding (the canoe.)
Woman - What if she comes from underneath us?
Marcela - Calm down, guys, calm down guys.
Woman - Oh my God. oh my God
Marcela - Calm down, calm. Breathe. Nothing is gonna happen…

According to the newspapers, Marcela was the canoeing instructor.

4 Likes

The gorgeous whale was spotted near the Tijucas Islands, Rio de Janeiro.

3 Likes

Shhhh, the industry, you harm it.

I was just hanging out, being beautiful, speaking this beautiful language, on this beautiful day, in my beautiful outrigger canoe, on this beautiful ocean, when this beautiful whale came and made a beautiful jump in the beautiful sky!

6 Likes

The woman who hopped into the boat also told her friends that everything’s fine.

1 Like

Just like all of those unicorns. :slightly_frowning_face:

Humpback whales can’t swallow a human (https://www.livescience.com/64969-whale-almost-swallows-man.html). They also generally feed in colder waters, they migrate to the warmer waters for reproduction. However, nothing stops oceanic sharks from being around as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.