Breaking: Chelsea manning's sentence commuted

Can’t link it, because it is a streaming video on CNN Go, but it is a pop up on the front page of http://www.cnn.com

20 Likes

25 Likes
15 Likes

Fuck. Yes.

From the NYT article linked above (thanks, @dfaris!):

Ms. Manning is set to be freed in five months, on May 17 of this year, rather than in 2045.

ETA: In my excitement, I just noticed this is pretty much redundant with the link snippet above. Still, for those finding this hard to believe, now you can read it for yourself, twice.

14 Likes
22 Likes

Very good. Does Obama still have time to push Merrick Garland’s appointment through too?

19 Likes

Well, but didn’t he say he’d do if she was pardoned? Her sentence has been commuted… she wasn’t pardoned.[quote=“Melizmatic, post:6, topic:93114”]
Does Obama still have time to push Merrick Garland’s appointment through too?
[/quote]

That would be like an extra Christmas!

13 Likes

Now I’m wondering about Snowden. I think they think he helped Putin hack the DNC, but we will find out in the next few days if they give a shit about him one way or the other.

1 Like

It’d take a savvy, competent and sneaky man.

So I wouldn’t count him out. But I am not putting money on it either.

3 Likes

Was there a petition about pardoning him or dropping the charges?

1 Like

I thought his opportunity for a recess appointment was when they were swearing in the new senators at the start of the year, so no.

8 Likes

Bummer.

Oh well, I’ll take whatever good news I can get.

2 Likes

Do the Trumpists currently view Assange as a dirty traitor who sold out his country or as a national hero who took down Clinton? I can’t keep up.

12 Likes

It was my understanding that even if Obama had tried for the intersession appointment Garland’s appointment could only be “temporary” anyway.

1 Like

It would have been for a session of Congress. So yeah, but a year with Garland would have been a year without Scalia Mk 2, whoever that turns out to be (Cruz?)

8 Likes

I still like to fantasize about a parallel universe in which Clinton won the election and appointed Obama to the bench so he could spend the next 3 or 4 decades reminding Republicans of how bad they F-ed up.

12 Likes

I was listening to something yesterday (Code Switch?) which pointed out that Obama’s lasting legacy will turn out to be Sonia Sotomayor.

10 Likes

Thank God.

Right now political news is slamming my dick in the door 3-4 times a day, having something good come out of it in the zero hour is great. Nothing takes away that he made the decision and put it through days before leaving office. Now if only he did it a year or more ago.

6 Likes

This shitshow isn’t done yet. Every day reveals new glimpses into gears silently grinding behind the scenes.

I can squint and see a scenario where Trump in the next 3 days gets a little too Anti-Russia and Putin burns him, and he ends up in jail.

It is probably Trump, but he is not the next president just yet.

1 Like

Thanks, Obama!

6 Likes