Chelsea Manning to go free!

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/17/chelsea-manning-to-go-free.html

24 Likes

Why May 17? Why not before Jan 20?

35 Likes

I’m thinking it was a way to make everyone happy on Obama’s part - she still serves time but she goes free much sooner than she would have. I don’t know why he didn’t say time served and she can immediately go free. it’s clear this has been pretty tough on her.

34 Likes

It’s my understanding that these things aren’t reversible by the next president. Is that accurate?
Christ I hope it’s accurate.
This poor woman needs this light at the end of a long and dark tunnel. And she’ll need us there when she gets out.

48 Likes

Your move, Julian.

59 Likes

I didn’t think it’d happen that Obama would commute her sentence. I can’t imagine how much emotional and psychological trauma she’s had to endure thus far, and what the road ahead to recover will look like.

37 Likes

Let the Cheeto Tweets begin!

23 Likes

Amen!!!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s ever been tested and that past presidents have respected the commutations of their predecessors, but the SCOTUS (which would be forced to rule on this issue) would be hard pressed to rule that an incoming president can change a served sentence after the fact unilaterally without due process with jeopardy attached.

23 Likes

I guess that’s it for Snowden then

6 Likes

Me either.
I have to say: sometimes it is nice to be wrong

14 Likes

"“Mr. Snowden fled into the arms of an adversary"
Well, the good news is that as of the 21st of this month that statement is no longer true, so … ?

35 Likes

Except the conviction hasn’t been dropped.

2 Likes

Here’s the original tweet. Not pardon, not dropping the conviction. “Clemency”.

21 Likes

Having your passport cancelled while sitting in the Moscow airport is not quite the same thing as fleeing into their arms. It’s closer to losing a game of musical chairs.

It borders on hilarious that he added: “has sought refuge in a country that most recently made a concerted effort to undermine confidence in our democracy.” Our entire country was caught with its pants down. Snowden should have seen it coming?

42 Likes

“Mr. Snowden fled into the arms of an adversary, and has sought refuge in a country that most recently made a concerted effort to undermine confidence in our democracy.”

This statement is such bullshit, since Snowden has NOTHING TO DO with Russia other than being trapped there with a revoked visa.

Did Mr. Earnest go on to discuss an imagined connection between Saddam Hussein and 9/11?

ETA: Snowden says passport, not visa.

25 Likes

Thanks… balls in his court. Though wouldn’t Sweden take precedence?

8 Likes

I have a “Free Chelsea Manning” sticker on my motorcycle helmet, the gal at the coffee house told me the good news when she saw the sticker. Very happy for Ms. Manning!

39 Likes

Yup.

Britain will feel obligated to make the legit decision. All he’s got to do is walk out the door…

4 Likes

I think England gets the first shot. He still has to answer for jumping bail, and I expect he’ll be arrested the second he walks out the door of the embassy whatever deal he makes with anyone.

10 Likes