Chelsea Manning to go free!

Welp, I guess we’ll see what he does. I think if he attempts to weasel out of his promise, people will be pissed. And if he’s friendly towards Trump (which he seems to have been), maybe he’s counting on getting his support in what he supposes is a kangaroo court (in the US) or afterwards, with a pardon or commutation?

3 Likes

Do you think that Trump and Putin will do a deal over Snowden?

And sought asylum there, petitioned to have that asylum extended to three years, and has mooted seeking permanent citizenship.

8 Likes

only 5 more months in a tiny box for telling the truth about gov crimes. great news?

4 Likes

I really unfortunately do. :frowning:

Visions of show trials and angry men shouting for the death penalty dance in my head.

1 Like

Yes. Given that the other option was release in 2045. Great news.

33 Likes

Doesn’t matter. He’s going to prison in Britain for jumping bail. If Sweden chooses to file an extradition request, then they get Assange. Only after that will America have an opportunity to file for extradition.

5 Likes

Sure, which I think both @GeekMan and @RatMan covered…

1 Like

A pardon is not only clemency, but the optimal kind of clemency (better than other clemencies like a commuted sentence or a reprieve). Still I expect Assange will find some excuse like pretending a pardon is not really clemency.

12 Likes

I don’t know… maybe he’ll man up and step outside the embassy. We’ll see. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

I’ll stick to eyeing him with suspicion and being surprised if he mans up. He hasn’t been a pillar of integrity up to now hiding from rape charges he seems to be pretending don’t exist.

16 Likes

I’m not really sure what has earned the benefit of the doubt with Assange. I’ll be shocked if he leaves the embassy without a backup plan.

4 Likes

“The commutation also relieved the Department of Defense of the difficult responsibility of her incarceration as she pushes for treatment for her gender dysphoria — including sex reassignment surgery — that the military has no experience providing.”

For future military incarcerations it should be pointed out that this isn’t true. Every civilian employee of the military and most contractors provide coverage for this. The VA has provided some trans specific medical care to veterans for decades- some places much better than others.

And they wouldn’t provide this treatment in a prison. Just like they don’t do any other surgery there. They send people for surgery to a hospital- if they don’t have a specialty- they pay someone.

It ain’t that complicated.

15 Likes

I don’t find him trust worthy either, but you never know.

5 Likes

Still no clemency for Leonard Peltier though.

10 Likes

As it says already: that’s not how any of this works.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can’t dis-commute the sentence, and you can’t try her again because that’s double jeopardy. Trump can’t do a damn thing, aside from the usual stochastic terrorism.

4 Likes
1 Like
7 Likes

Another precedent/President typo?

18 Likes