Brendan Fraser's personal website is like an early 2000s time capsule

Originally published at: Brendan Fraser's personal website is like an early 2000s time capsule | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Meredith “I’m a b*tch, I’m a lover” Brooks’s website and blog are equally quaint. A real throwback to a simpler time (on the internet).

She was a struggling musician for decades, then landed a huge international hit at age 40, then semi-retired and had a kid, and a blog. What a champ.

7 Likes

Rachel Weisz certainly sure was blurry in her earlier years:

10 Likes

The page code* includes explicit check if its being viewed with Netscape Navigator 4. Haven’t seen that in a while

//reloads the window if Nav4 resized
function MM_reloadPage(init) {
if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) { ' document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight; onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
}

*he wasn’t using the Missouri variant which made it a lot easier to decode

18 Likes

**Bweeop! Bweeooop! I’m telling. **
Viewing the code, Brendan Fraser is going to charge to with hacking and put you one double secret probation, or smile and say “thank you” for visiting his website.

I bet the site is even Bobby compliant too.

I love that it is still hanging out there, Un-updated since the early 2000s. I’d like to think it’s part of a long game advertising campaign for a future movie that takes us back to the 90s.

10 Likes

The days of tiny digital images… that’s how you know it’s the early 2000s.

6 Likes

Actually not bad for an old website. 2003 standards were very different than 1995, and much, much better. No Flash either, it’s javascript and HTML (no CSS).

6 Likes

Olive green is the best color, and you’d have to have eaten a very particular lunch for your puke to be that color. I will not stand for this slander!

4 Likes

He’s gotta add Act IV to mention how hard he’s being nailing it in Doom Patrol recently.

3 Likes

Hey, he has (had) a link to Joe Frank!. Late 90’s early aughts I would catch him on WFMU late at night and while his ramblings have not aged perfectly, they’re still PRETTY COOL. The first time I heard him I was driving a production vehicle around Manhattan doing dropoffs at 2am or something and it was still before the internet was much good at helping you identify a song or a playlist (let alone some weird dude telling stories), so you ended up hearing great things on the radio and thinking what the heck WAS that?? Then you’d find your coolest friend and try to explain it to them in hopes that they’d know what you were talking about…

3 Likes

So I guess in this scenario, Brendan Fraser is the cool friend? I’m down with that!

1 Like

If you look at what was going on in his life during the 00’s, it’s not really surprising that he quit updating the site.

2 Likes

Brendan Fraser’s personal website is like an early 2000s time capsule

FTFY

Working title: Cupertino Man

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.