Brewers yeast genetically modified to produce THC and CBD

Well, this certainly bodes well for Marmite…

15 Likes

Great, so now we have the fast-food equivalent of cannabis. What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

Considering that brewers’ yeast is also bakers’ yeast…
There could be some pretty fun brioche in the future.

5 Likes

How to check: Ask yourself - “are farts lumpy?”

3 Likes

WANT!! NOW!!

Yummmmm! Munchies and the solution, all in one.

2 Likes

So when this stuff escapes the laboratory and enters the wild, what’s to keep it from growing everywhere? As in, boy these new yeast infections are very interesting to say the least.

1 Like

And suddenly science was cool again.

1 Like

My first thought was that auto-brewery syndrome is super rare, despite Saccharomyces cerevisiae having been around basically forever, so this new yeast seems unlikely to be a big deal.

But the difference between the effective dose of ethanol vs THC is giving me pause. If your gut bacteria produce one gram of ethanol, you don’t have a problem because 1 gram of ethanol is basically nothing. But if your gut produces 1 gram of THC, you’d be pretty fucked up.

6 Likes

I mean, if it gets me stoned I’ll try it.

Can def see how this could drive down the cost of pens big time

1 Like

I’m familiar with Jay Keasling’s work. He’s used the same technique to use yeast to produce the antimalarial drug artemisinin. Instead of costly and polluting pot farms (waste water, fertilizer, pesticide use, etc.) to generate “commodity” quantities of these chemicals can be made in a vat by feeding some bugs some sugar.

I think there’s still room for “artisinal” (hopefully environmentally responsible) pot farming for recreational/medicinal uses.

2 Likes

Cross-contamination with other yeast strains? Surely that could never go wrong…

If you can buy hash on it’s own, you can buy an e-liquid that allows you fill your own cartridges. 1 gram can make up to 4 cartridges.

That’s hysterical.

Edit: I’m beginning to think no one got my pun.

1 Like

I think the count would go: 5… 4… 2… 0
:smiley:

4 Likes

The limits on home production, however, are strictly based on growing plants.

(4) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for an individual who is 18 years of age or older to cultivate, propagate or harvest, or to offer to cultivate, propagate or harvest, (...) * (b) more than four cannabis plants at any one time in their dwelling-house.

So what’s a “plant” in this case - a yeast cell? A fermenter of arbitrary size?

Common yeast infections are caused by other strains of yeast. Relax, you’ll be fine…and possibly very high.

3 Likes

You little beauty - fortified Vegemite!

1 Like

Or shift the production areas to the places with the most garage chemists.

Imagine us becoming the world’s largest producer of Meth. I guess it’s one way to defund North Korea.

1 Like

Some people’s guts produce a lot more than a gram of alcohol.

2 Likes

Yeast aren’t plants. Not even close.

1 Like