Brewers yeast genetically modified to produce THC and CBD

And then I got to the “UC Berkeley” part and the whole thing made sense. Like, cosmically, Dude!

My sourdough just got a lot more interesting…

Ex-Lax edibles probably not a great idea.

3 Likes

I realize that.

However, at some point, if brewing THC becomes commonplace faster than legislation keeps up, some judge is likely to have to rule on how to interpret the four plant limit, in the context of fermenters full of sugar and yeast.

2 Likes

Yessir, I do believe it’s time to bake some bread.

2 Likes

It’s even weirder than that! No country would be the largest producer of any drugs. Local dealers or users themselves could just cultivate the yeast.

1 Like

So this is how they get high on Ceres Station. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sounds like beer is about to get even more interesting…

1 Like

YAY another plot: invisible politicos promote weed legalization in hopes that it’ll make more gullible and less hormonal voters.

It’s not engineered yeast, but ergot fungus gives LDS-like effects with bread…

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/how-deadly-bread-bewitched-a-french-village-123126177/

You wear magic underwear and bike around telling people all about your bread?

4 Likes

The last barrier the researchers face is the “dip it in batter and deep-fry it filter.”

Done already, for heroin. I didn’t see any refs to doing it with cocaine but it couldn’t be much different of a science problem.

1 Like

Or start a witch trial?

1 Like

Illegal…

Or maybe that was your point.

Nah, that wasn’t my point. Pot’s still illegal in many states, and at the federal level, so that hasn’t changed enough to have an effect on this research, if someone were really wanting to head down this road. Especially at the criminal level; which is easier? Growing fields of pot, or some yeast.

Why not both?

Flower for those that what the pure experience. Very specific, very engineered capsules.

I was thinking… I really like vapour pens with high-strength (allegedly) concentrates; very discreet, very efficient (3 puffs and I’m where I want to be). I imagine this will become the preferred, or default, consumption method for those reasons. If so, wouldn’t a lot of effort be eliminated (the whole “cut into branches -> prune sun leaves -> hang to dry for ~10 days -> trim -> cut into nuggets -> cure -> pack” process becomes “feed the whole plant into grinder -> extract by industrial-sized process -> pack”)?

1 Like

Heh. There is a pretty good chance the extra terpene flavors in some of those pens were made by me. :). And yeah, because the THC is basically a commodity, the raw materials for vape pens (i.e. distillate) can be of any quality.

3 Likes

I have to imagine that this may be an “economy of scale” sort of thing.

Vat grown CBD and THC can probably be produced in massive quantities for a lot less $ than tending (and waiting for maturation) of whole plants.

2 Likes

I think you are probably right as far as isolated THC and CBD go, but plants have the full range of cannabinoids and terpenes - some of which we have not even discovered and isolated - that make them for the foreseeable future a more useful way of producing cannabis products. I actually work in this space - my company makes terpene products for end users and the cannabis industry. We kind of handle that end and leave it up to others to deal in cannabinoids. So my money is on vape pens, but personally I like concentrates made from high quality cannabis.

4 Likes