Brexit and Brexit Accessories

Replying here since it would be OT in the Trump topic:

I think you underestimate the willingness of those who voted for Brexit to accept the narrative being painted by Boris and co.

Bear in mind that as British people we’ve had at least 50 years of being told that everyone on the mainland is in some way perfidious, weak, cowardly, lazy or barbaric if not all of the aforegoing at once.

Add to that several decades of whining and outright lies about the EU and the same toxic copaganda and anti-lawyer propaganda as the US (and everywhere else I can think of) and you have a whole bunch of people for whom the basic issues of Brexit boiled down to:

1. “Keep the foreigners out”.
  2. “Keep the foreigners out.”
  3. “BRITAIN!!!” By which of course they really mean “England!!!”
  4. “Keep those nasty foreigners from telling us what to do”
  5. “Keep those nasty foreign lawyers in the ECJ from telling us what to do”.

By that metric, yes Boris lied to people by telling them that the could have all that while still trading with the EU but the number of people who care about that is so minimal compared to those who think that anything is acceptable so long as it gets them out of EU free movement, out of having to comply with EU regulations and directives and not subject to the ECJ.

The eejits in the Tory Party can point to massive support for a hardline on those issues. And those are the issues that will inevitably scupper any chance of a real deal with the EU.

Oh, and fishing. Which has somehow morphed from something that 90% of the UK couldn’t give a fuck about to a major issue of national sovereignty.

Can’t have the Frogs coming and fishing all our fish. Never mind that we don’t want the stuff.

TLDR - I don’t think enough of them will care about any economic downsides to blame anyone except the people they already blame for everything.

8 Likes