Brexit and Brexit Accessories

This must be one of those Brexit Opportunities they were talking about…

/s

5 Likes

Ahem:

Daniel Lambert, who supplies Marks & Spencer, Waitrose and 300 independent retailers, is moving to Montpellier in France later this week with his wife and two teenage children.

4 Likes

Ah, there we go. Thanks, I read too quickly. So he and his family are leaving, the business is staying.

You have to wonder how long the :uk: company will remain the primary and the :fr: company the “shell”. I have a vague, masochistic curiosity about what Vogon-grade customs reporting and freight bonding rules are play. My last attempt to buy something from a :uk: retailer ended in paperwork just expensive enough that I rejected the whole shipment.

Economic self-immolation seems to arrived with a side-order of actual immolation this summer.

4 Likes
10 Likes

I was about to counter that, conversely, Go Ahead operates in the German rail market as well, but checking on wikipedia I see that they are owned by an Australian and a Spanish company these days.

2 Likes

It’s a little out of date, since the original is from a few years ago. Some of those companies have changed hands (and Scotrail has been nationalised), but the overall sentiment is accurate enough. Privatization and Franchising have been a disaster for rail transport on the island of Great Britain.

5 Likes

I hear the guy who runs the railway on the island of Sodor is a real jerk.

6 Likes

Thanks for keepin’ it real… we need the factchecks here.

I will say that living in the U.S. means Amtrak is pathetic (and that’s with federal subsidies) and in Texas, we have nearly no rail worthy of the name. Austin’s trying, a bit:

It’s not enough, but compared to a lot of towns in Texas, we’re “advanced.” Most Texans really hate mass transit. :weary:

2 Likes

Brexit dividend? ‘Newly independent’ UK will be world’s ‘data hub’, claims digital minister

Britain’s digital minister says the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is “limiting the potential of our businesses,” and is vowing to cut data protection “red tape,” for the “newly independent nation free of EU bureaucracy.”

The recently appointed Michelle Donelan said the UK planned to “seize this post-Brexit opportunity fully, and unleash the full growth potential of British business,” claiming: “We can be the bridge across the Atlantic and operate as the world’s data hub.”

[…]

3 Likes
4 Likes

They mean the same way we were a finance hub for Europe until Brexit?

Fucking morons.

9 Likes

Going out of their way to make sure that it is legally risky for anyone operating in or tagetting the EU to use British services. That sounds like a plan.

8 Likes

She is finished, a hollow husk of a prime minister. But this is bigger than that. The Brexit bubble has burst. The country has seen that the Tory hallucination of an island able to command the tides was no more than a fever dream, and a dangerous one at that. We can pronounce Trussonomics dead. Bring on the day we can say the same of the delusion that spawned it.

9 Likes

She does look tired, doesn’t she.

9 Likes

Slight detour: speaking of the Suez Crisis, this is a good rundown of it.

3 Likes

[…]

In an interview with The Telegraph, IBM UK and Ireland general manager Sreeram Visvanathan predicted Britain would have “the ability to do a lot more, post Brexit.”

He also said there was an appetite for innovation among UK regulators since they were no longer bound by EU law.

[…]

2 Likes

If they do diverge from GDPR I’m fucked as it would be illegal for me to do business with certain suppliers and there will be no alternatives.

Nobody is going to step into the gap for a tiny English speaking market. I’ve asked them what their plans are for years and none of them have any that they are telling me.

9 Likes

The “gift” that keeps on giving sucking.

8 Likes

Oh, he must know Rishi’s family quite well, will just be a huge coincidence when IBM gets a huge gov contract soon.

6 Likes