Brexit and Brexit Accessories

Well if it only messed with the convenience of yes voters, but their fuckups effect all…

5 Likes

True. But my flawed character has little sympathy for TERF Island. Or Florida, Texas etc.

6 Likes

You and I have a different idea of the definition of “flawed”, then. :wink:

5 Likes

Can’t argue there, the TERF madness overwhelming Britain right now is… well it’s shocking and it’s definitely a contagion which has radicalised some crazies here. Apart from Glinner who has been crazy for quite a number of years at this stage.

7 Likes

It’s going from crazy to outright frightening. Hard to even plan for safe places to move to, if needed.

6 Likes

Sean Flanagan Laugh GIF by FoilArmsandHog

3 Likes
8 Likes

I’m morbidly curious how he voted, not to presume he voted for brexit but he wouldn’t be the first business owner who exports a lot to the EU to have fucked around and found out (posted upthread)…

Import checks delayed yet again (good)…

6 Likes

Based on his twitter profile, he’s anti-brexit, pro-EU. And he’s a knight.

https://twitter.com/SteveShovlar

9 Likes
4 Likes

So this is how it went: for years “moderate” unionists have held their noses and voted DUP, despite the misogyny, homophobia, racism, transphobia, fundamentalist science denialism, and the laughable internal inconsistencies (how can they support an empire with an established Church of England?) but this time they finally snapped. Because of Brexit. Which isn’t popular in NI, and because of the NI protocol, which is, so Sinn Féin won the election and the Alliance made great gains.

How do the English political establishment react? That’s right, by doubling down on Brexit and on getting rid of the Protocol which is protecting Northern Ireland’s economy.

Remember: it’s never actually the will of the people for Conservatives. Never.

Raab told Sky News on Sunday: “If anything, the outcome in Northern Ireland from those elections makes it clear it [a protocol change] can’t be put off.”

No Raab, they told you and your allies over here to fuck right off is what they made clear. Unionism needs to shed the Conservatives as well as the DUP in order to have a path for the future.

13 Likes

Honesty? But that’s not the way of the Tories!

4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

Mark Harper, a senior Conservative MP … said he categorically disagreed with Ellwood and was clear that Brexit “meant leaving the single market and putting an end to freedom of movement – the end”.

That feels unintentionally truthful… if I was stuck in the :uk: right now I’d be furious about that.

As for the “Norway Model”, if NAFTA and USCAM agreements have shown us anything, is it not that free trade without free movement just means labour camps in the low-wage zones, with a smattering of temporary migrant labour, as needed, to pick fruit?

4 Likes

And the actual Norway Model includes freedom of movement. This Norway à la carte model that would allow them to get market access without freedom of movement has never been more than a Tory pipe dream.

9 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

Hmmm, bad case of headline-to-situation mismatch?

A British wine wholesaler who last year criticised Brexit as the biggest threat to his business in 30 years has decided to leave the UK after post-Brexit paperwork made a £150,000 hole in revenue.
Daniel Lambert, who supplies Marks & Spencer, Waitrose and 300 independent retailers, is moving to Montpellier in France later this week with his wife and two teenage children.
There he will set up a French company to export back to his own company in Wales.

My emphasis.

It sounds like he’ll maintain the existing UK company, and set up a shell company in France to act as the export company. That way, he can do the paperwork as a French exporter rather than a UK importer, which is apparently easier. Mind-boggling that this is necessary without any tangible benefit (apart from the blue passports thing).

My read is: he isn’t leaving the UK; just the paperwork is leaving.

3 Likes

If he controls both ends he doesn’t have to pay somebody else to do the paperwork.

For Lambert, it is complicated but the only post-Brexit way of continuing to trade in Britain as it will enable him legally to export and import while cutting out the middle agent charging up to £150,000 a year for paperwork.

4 Likes