Brexit and Brexit Accessories

You believed Michael Gove?

i dont care thats not my problem GIF

12 Likes

Episode 11 Dolph Starbeam GIF by The Simpsons

3 Likes
6 Likes

When the scheme was launched in May 2021, the then-home secretary Priti Patel said: “Winners of these awards have reached the pinnacle of their career and they have so much to offer the UK. These important changes will give them the freedom to come and work in our world-leading arts, sciences, music, and film industries as we build back better.”

Great pitch. “You’ve peaked. So the logical step is to move to Britain and watch from there how others supercede you at the top of your field. We’ll let you stay as long as you have some knowledge to share.”

3 Likes

They really should have thought a bit about their world leading industries rather than the tiny fishing one. And Loyalist smugglers in NI - they make a lot of noise but they aren’t that economically important at all.

British music is genuinely a global phenomenon, British fish are not. The British food we took a hit on was Asian foods imported into Britain on the way to here but alternative supply chains are now in place. I seem to be able to get what I want.

6 Likes

The Tories have a knack for (a) boasting that Brexit will unshackle Britain to become a world leader in everything and (b) undermining everything in Britain that really is world leading.

6 Likes

I guess it’s because musicians as a rule fucking hate the conservatives whereas cheesemongers and fishmongers don’t.

Farmers and fishermen were utterly dependent on the EU however they voted.

6 Likes

Brexit is the gift that just keeps taking.

4 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Almost 10 per cent of all Brexit-related residency applications received by the Migration Agency were filed late — and most have been rejected as a result.

I presume this 10% includes a fair proportion who assumed they were above the rules

3 Likes

This big slab of realpolitik has finally raised it head to batter Sunak and the Brexiteer Govt.

5 Likes

I’m guessing most of them are refugees, as your current country would have to be a hellhole to make the UK appear worth moving to currently.

2 Likes

Only a tiny percentage are refugees, despite what the Daily Mail say.

Most are “Skilled Worker” visas and students.

4 Likes

Yeah I know, I do also note that both those categories lose their right to remain if they aren’t employed or in school.

I thought they wanted to encourage this sort of immigration, back in the May days.

1 Like

They haven’t a fucking clue.

Their current policy means that promoting say “operators” to technicians from UK nationals/current visa holders on your staff is made harder as you cannot replace the operators from the overseas labour pool, only UK nationals can do lower paid work (Less than £26k or £10.75/hs).
So it can be easier to recruit grads/skilled staff from India than promote internally.

1 Like

… the Canada–U.K. Trade Continuity Agreement in 2020 said that “cheese originating in the United Kingdom shall continue to be eligible to be imported into Canada under the reserve for the European Union within Canada’s WTO cheese TRQ until no later than Dec. 31, 2023.”

While I will miss enjoying the odd wedge of Shropshire Blue, I’ll will be quite happily drowning that tiny little sorrow in a plate of the fantastic cheese that :canada: makes, many of my favourites coming from Quebec in particular.

…but buck up :uk:, you have those lovely blue passports now (that the French make for you)!

4 Likes
4 Likes

Oh, it’s even better - the French company writes the invoices and has the passports printed in Poland.

4 Likes

Was that something that Truss organized?

Liz Truss Cheese GIF by GIPHY News

steve coogan film GIF

5 Likes