Brexit and Brexit Accessories

[…]

In less enthusiastic tones, government officials also announced that a mooted, much broader revival of imperial weights and measurements was being axed — after more than 98% of the public told a government consultation that they did not want it.

[…]

Brexit - like, totally worth it!

… British pints I assume

568 millilitres each :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

It’s in the article. :slight_smile:

1 Like

De Billy wrote in 2017 that Pol Roger was talking to its bottle suppliers about having pint bottles made, but its managing director last year said no company would consider actually commissioning them until the law changed. People wanting to imitate Churchill will have to wait longer, as champagne bottles must be aged, sometimes for several years.

“No one is going to make a pint-sized bottle,” said one English winemaker, who asked not to be named because the debate about imperial measures was so “toxic”. “In order to make a pint-sized bottle you’re going to have to invest a huge amount of money. It’s a silly measure.”

3 Likes

Huge surge in demand for British wine after global consumers discover it is finally available by the pint

My word, even the United States, the very paragon of irrational resistance to metric everything, produces wine in the standard metric sizes.

4 Likes

… also a U.S. pint is within 6% of a half-liter so it hardly matters really :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I’d say it’s fairly telling that the department’s press release can only come up with this as a positive blurb from industry:

Nicola Bates, CEO of WineGB said:
We welcome the chance to be able to harmonise still and sparkling bottle sizes and we are happy to raise a glass to the greater choice that allows UK producers for domestic sales.

Not a mention of pints.

6 Likes

And the 750ml standard wine/liquor bottle size is even closer to the historical US measurement for spirits, the fifth of a gallon (~757ml, a difference of about 1 percent). So that probably explains some of it.

But still, “standing on poorly-conceived principle for Freedom Units” seems especially petty for the UK, especially in the spirits market.

5 Likes

Arguably, the UK has technically been metric since the late 19th century. And without World War I the last legal skids would have been removed in the early 20th century.
Ironically, some of the original official metres and kilogrammes were made in Britain.

(And while I’m at it: no, the US does not use imperial units.)

4 Likes
4 Likes

camelot

6 Likes

5 Likes

Hair’s too long for a vicar, too.

1 Like
5 Likes

Totally, totally unexpected. Really, nobody could have seen this coming.
Because industry standards are just shit bureaucrats make up when they are bored, obviously.

13 Likes

I am a one in ten, a number on a list
I am a one in ten, even though I don’t exist
Nobody knows me, but I’m always there
A statistic, a reminder of a world that doesn’t care

7 Likes

The £350 million pledge? The one which Farage immediately after Brexit said wasn’t going to happen, and it was just a lie by the Leave campaign, and he had nothing to do with it, honest?

Also, I’m surprised there are around 10% of Britons so dumb and/or deep in the Tory hole that they imagine there have been any kind of a benefit from Brexit.

4 Likes

There’s never no benefit. Low hanging fruit are smuggling and money laundering/fraud. On top of that the poorest can be squeezed even further when the Working Time Directive is got rid of. Poor people don’t deserve holidays. If they wanted not to be poor working non stop on jobs that don’t pay enough to get by is what they should be doing.

Basically there’s lots of Brexit opportunities if you are already rich and have no conscience.

Conservatives basically.

It’s like how they claimed to have increased the budget to the NHS but instead were paying their friends for rubbish.

4 Likes