Brexit Britain plunges into poverty as bills soar

I’d be interested to know how the electricity prices affect the indoor gardening industry.
Sure you could try to recoup the extra costs by raising your prices, but at some point it could raise suspicion if you’re the only one in your neighbourhood who isn’t reducing your electricity consumption.

3 Likes

Haha, them folks are stealing elec most of the time, nobody wants their name on an actual contract for that sort of thing.

9 Likes

Didn’t they have this issue last year when the price of holiday booze also skyrocketed because of the new trade deal with eurozone nations?

2 Likes

With these conditions, it seems like the forthcoming power cuts will trigger riots.

6 Likes

It’s a tragedy but not a surprise that the attempt to replace an entire economy with a dense blob of white collar crime in and around London hasn’t yielded widespread abundance.

It’s a tragedy and a crime that the ones responsible are likely the last to face any of the consequences.

15 Likes

If you’re doing it at the hobbyist level, it’d pay for itself, or it used to. You’d need to upgrade to LEDs now, I’d guess. I kinda like the metal halide lights tho. Great for SAD. It was like having a cupboard full of July.

13 Likes

Best turn of phrase in a while. Going to make me smile even more later, in the consumption phase of the day, as I imagine mine having come from somebody’s cupboard full of July. Thx

11 Likes

Something something David Cameron long pig

14 Likes

babe something GIF

13 Likes

The King would like to have a word with him about those swans, and the ownership of same. /s

5 Likes

“Orf with his head!”

1 Like

Running up and down streets waving pitchforks is one great way to stay warm this winter.
And imagine the health benefits, all that lovely fresh air and exercise will surely not only make you fitter but will help to relieve pressure on the NHS also.
It’s a win/win.

11 Likes

Plunging into sobriety is almost, but not quite, the same as plunging into poverty, for some, at least.

5 Likes

Interestingly the Crown only owns all wild or unmarked swans. If they are marked with an owner’s mark then they are not owned by the Crown.

Some swans are still owned by a ‘Company’ (ancient Guilds) who do mark and own swans. I believe there are two of these Companies that still do it.

Swans are a protected species so killing them is illegal.

4 Likes

Still, they’re a bunch of arm-breaking bullies, so fuck 'em.

(really joking, I like swans (also, not for eating)).

5 Likes

There’s not enough brown sauce in the world…

10 Likes

There is a link, but it’s not causal. Brexit is a symptom of an underlying incompetence in UK government that has also led them to worse outcomes than any of their European peers. Just two examples:

• The UK has the worst-insulated homes in Europe, yet in 2012 David Cameron decided to end all subsidies for home-insulation projects as part of his “get rid of all the green crap” agenda.
  • In 2017, Centrica (the privatized utility formerly known as British Gas) decommissioned its natural gas storage facility at Rough, which accounted for 70% of the UK’s gas storage capacity. This was approved by minister and free-market-orthodoxy ayatollah Kwasi Karteng, who issued a fatwa that the omnibenevolent market’s ability to provide shall not be contested
9 Likes

Is there a reason to associate neo-liberalism with Iran? I mean, they probably have more government run sectors of their economy than the UK does at this point? :woman_shrugging: Part of the problem the west has with Iran, is that they do not have enough of a free market economy. Seems like something that Karteng would be staunchly against, in fact.

8 Likes

You could have made your point without the bullshit Islamophobic anti-Iranian vibe but instead you went all in. Makes you sound like a Daily Mail subscriber looking to shift the blame after you voted Leave.

9 Likes

17 posts were split to a new topic: The nomenclature of cultures and civilizations