Brexit finally hits UK food imports

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/31/brexit-finally-hits-uk-food-imports.html

9 Likes

(while we wait for the next general election)

21 Likes

They have a whole lot of free seaweed around them they can eat

9 Likes

Well hello Consequences-for-my-own-actions, I certainly didn’t expect to see you here.

21 Likes

Harrison Ford Reaction GIF

13 Likes

Has anyone coined a catchy “Iron/Bamboo” Curtain description for Brexit UK isolationism?

9 Likes

Tea curtain? Offal curtain?

8 Likes

No. It’s just curtains.

19 Likes

Tugs collar nervously. Oh boy!

10 Likes

Nnnnnnnngh. :confounded:

6 Likes

Good thing I had relatives in the GDR back then, perfect training for having relatives in the UK now.
Applying for visa to get in, enduring the border guards, sending packages with luxury foods like chocolate and coffee…

14 Likes

It does feel very 80s. Fortunately, it’s all Cold and no War, so far.

If you shop at Aldi you can find shoddy low-cocoa “chocolate”, just like the old days!

11 Likes

And what about the 48% of us who knew it was a catastrophically bad idea but are also trapped in this slow march towards Hell?

17 Likes

These are not the consequences of my actions. I voted “remain” and tried to sway the votes of those around me. Honestly, how could anyone think some positive could come from a referendum fronted by Farage and Gove?

Welcome aboard, comrade :smiley::+1:

The Lace Curtain.

17 Likes

It is the most twitchy of all international dividers.

16 Likes

Turnips are awesome!

As well as the inflation and the empty shelves of greengrocery, I can look forwards to a healthier diet thanks to reduced imports of cheese and delicatessen good slike salume.

On top of all that, I now have to buy a UK sticker for my car if I go to Eire or France.

So proud! Such sovereignty!

13 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing

Joining Welcome Home GIF

6 Likes

It’s everything about my home country that makes it what it is.
Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory, shooting ourselves in the foot, again!
The endless drone of discontent, not enough to do anything about it, except the pleasure of whinging and whining about some “other” thats spoiling everything.

We, as a nation, get Everything, we, deserve.

Drink up, it’s time at the bar!!

12 Likes

I can’t think of an appropriate compliment to this apart from, ‘Ouch, nice!’

4 Likes

Ah yes… and all those people who get hurt because they can’t afford to move deserve what they get… /s

18 Likes