Brexit results going forward

As some great Brits have taught us. We should always look on the bright side of life

2 Likes

Just remember that you’re standing on a planet that’s evolving and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour.

4 Likes

I feel so insignificant
Can we have your liver then?
OK.

6 Likes

That fucker raided the pension fund, defrauded the investors and screwed up everything he didn’t use to do crimes. Brexit didn’t get a look in with him around.

5 Likes

I think Ireland is trying to tell Britain something

Ireland may become an option in my bug-out plan.

9 Likes

Wow! That’s remarkable!

4 Likes

It will put the reunification of Ireland back on the table. De Pfeffel didn’t plan for that, but I doubt he planned for anything regarding Brexit.

9 Likes

Indeed it does. We still have to wait and see if it does translate to them being able to form a government, but either way, it’s a strong statement from the people or Ireland.

5 Likes

“Thanks for nothing!” perhaps?

I only lived there a few months but I really liked Dublin, I wouldn’t mind going back at all.

5 Likes

Brexit was, in the exit polls, the main issue for 1% of voters.

What the Irish voters are trying to tell is FF and FG (who have been in a confidence and supply arrangement) and the centre left parties who propped up previous governments that we want affordable housing and investment in the health service.

If Eoin O Broin was housing minister in any other party they’d have done well, as against that a homeless man was picked up by a digger in his tent just beside housing minister (FG) Eoghan Murphy’s election poster.

It’s not about England. It’s not about Trump.

Not everything is.

8 Likes

Sinn Fein have had two poor elections on the bounce and lost lots of local councillors, they didn’t run as many candidates as their numbers suggest. They absolutely topped the polls in about 25 constituencies though and any government formed will be most likely short lived so they are well placed for the next.

Just off a long day of geeking out on the vote. PR-STV makes for a great post election discussion.

1 Like

That’s a serious failing of STV- This result is basically saying:
“Voters, you may have expressed these preferences, but your preferred party didn’t do well in the secret psychic round of the election and failed to run the optimum number of candidates in each district. Better luck next time”

* Wanders off muttering about AV-Plus and the advantages of the Baden-WĂŒrttemberg seat allocation method *

4 Likes

Well not really. In my constituency for example 80% of Aengus O’Snodaigh’s transfers went to Bríd Smith of People Before Profit. That’s a good return even if transferring inter party to another candidate, let alone intra party, and shows that SF voters both voted and transferred left. SF are notoriously parsimonious with transfers. I checked with party activists yesterday when I saw early tallies on the transfers and they told me that we could expect this across the country which is what has happened. This isn’t a #votelefttransferleft social media thing, this is actual party policy being enacted by the electorate who fully knew what they were doing.

There are advantages of list systems but one disadvantage is that you can’t choose not to transfer to another candidate in your party if you don’t like them and also the party have more control over who your first preference is.

Norton was going to implode no matter what happened with Brexit. Everyone in the motorcycle industry watched the decisions they were making with wonder. That first claim was to drum up potential investor confidence.

2 Likes

And my constituency is all in now and it’s four left TDs and no FFFG hegemony at all because the electorate understand how to vote and voted to make this the case. So for example we voted in a Green TD because he’s the transport spokesperson and while people don’t trust the Greens not to sell out to the right, if you are going to have a green in government Dublin needs it to be the transport representative. Badly.

3 Likes
6 Likes

So, he wants to be Pontifex Maximus as well?

2 Likes

something something Crimea

1 Like

I mean, he’s got form.

1 Like