Brian Williams airs the political ad Fox News would not

You’re funny! :wink:

1 Like

There was an interview on PBS last night after during the News Hour with one of the Capitol police officers, and he was just flabbergasted and distraught. Basically what we see in the videos doesn’t accurately describe how rough it was that day, the officers feared for their lives. Plus he has to go to work everyday protecting people who aren’t interested in protecting him one tiny bit.

9 Likes

If Babylon Berlin is to be believed, Weimar Germany had way cooler shows in its night clubs than we have now.

5 Likes

I think through repeated misuse “broadcast” no longer has as narrow a meaning as it once did. Which means it is no longer a misuse.

4 Likes

I don’t get it. :confused:

Are you saying that the Democratic Party aren’t capitalists?

2 Likes

No, I’m not. And they are not on the left, either, really.

3 Likes

Neither is the left wing of capitalism.

4 Likes

Fair point. My first comment was just me musing in a cryptic manner as to whether ‘the left wing of capitalism’ isn’t a bit of an oxymoron. That’s all.

As we were - back on our heads, rest break over. :wink:

3 Likes

He’s really on closed circuit television but just doesn’t realize it.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Amy Goodman might still get an Anger Interpreter or so from Key & Peele. Mother Jones has burgeoners. Killing it as a newspaper, oi.

5 Likes

Sure, Murdoch gave Meidas Touch well in excess of $187,000 worth of free publicity by rejecting the ad, and aiding Democrats is not in his long-term interest, but that is probably acceptable to him: the organization probably strategically worked out that it would lose $187,000 by airing the ad, from lost viewership/boycotting and the “controversy” that would arise from it. Long-term profit is always going to be the organization’s guiding principle.

-----
It’s not even clear whether a cancelled ad means they lose (fail to realize) the full amount of the unaired ad. Perhaps they fill it on short-notice with an ad that they charge less for. Or they fill it will a less longer running ad in that slot. So that $187,000 “loss” is possibly less (even substantially less) than $187,000.

Difference? Doesn’t really seem like it matters any longer where you get your electrons from aside from the fact that the FCC can charge a toll for a portion of the EM spectrum. Otherwise it all seems like crap media, you just have to ignore it or decide what flavor of crap you’d like to eat.

3 Likes

I know it’s actually true here, but this phrase has generally lost meaning for me. It’s now a mantra in any news story involving police.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who finds Meidas Touch videos consistently disappointing?

I have trouble articulating what it is exactly, but their videos seem more amateurish and less impactful than many other sharp-elbowed political videos from producers like the Lincoln Project and the Daily Show.

Yes…and it proved to be excellent fodder for the Nazi’s to rail about decadence, corrupting youth, etc.

You know, because they were all about “family values” too. The closer you look, the more parallels you see.

4 Likes

They were started with the purpose of making sure Trump was defeated, but I’m not sure they’re a conservative group. They were started by the Meiselas brothers, one of whom is a civil rights attorney most known for representing Colin Kaepernick. Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s not a conservative, and they do seem pretty cozy with the Lincoln Project people, so it’s probably worth keeping an eye on them. One of my biggest fears is that Trump-opposing Republicans will try to Trojan horse the Democratic Party.

2 Likes

I hear you. This guy though, he’s atypical in that respect, he mentions that in all his years on the force he never felt he needed to use his weapon, until Jan. 6th, the only reason he didn’t was because he and the other officers were so outnumbered and it would be like “throwing kerosene on [a fire.]”

1 Like

Modern right wing radio began in the late 1980s with the dissolution of the Fairness Doctrine, which had required broadcasting license holders to present equal time for balanced views of issues. Here’s an article about it.

While there were plenty of conservative evangelists prior to Reagan (Goldwater, Buckley, etc.), it’s Reagan who deserves credit/blame for much that is terrible about the U.S. today, including Trumpism. Reagan was Frankenstein; Trump is Frankenstein’s Monster.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.