Bricks made from human urine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/25/bricks-made-from-human-urine.html

5 Likes

Impossible to take the piss out of any building constructed with these bricks, no matter how ugly it might be.

10 Likes

Mmm!

10 Likes

Urine has always been considered valuable, it wasn’t until the age of modern plumbing that human urine stopped being reused and processed for industrial applications. At least to the degree that it used to be, they likely do try to reuse human waste after treatment but the treatment part is energy and labor intensive.

9 Likes

Getting concrete-like results without using concrete is a big environmental win:

10 Likes

“I see,” says President Trump, thinking back to a hotel room in Moscow.

10 Likes

I’ve heard the phrase “shitting bricks” but never “pissing bricks.” Sounds painful.

12 Likes

The urine part is interesting but this is the real winner.

6 Likes

My cats make bricks out of urine and clumping litter. It never occurred to me to use them to build a little kitty-house. Wouldn’t that just smell fine after a summer rain?

7 Likes

Ummm… that’s… good?

post-58285-Eddie-Murphy-Bowfingerd-cringe-HUgp

4 Likes

Pecunia non olet (“money does not stink”) is a Latin saying. The phrase is ascribed to the Roman emperor Vespasian (ruled AD 69–79).

Vespasian imposed a Urine Tax (Latin: vectigal urinae) on the distribution of urine from public urinals in Rome’s Cloaca Maxima (great sewer) system. (The Roman lower classes urinated into pots which were emptied into cesspools.) The urine collected from public urinals was sold as an ingredient for several chemical processes. It was used in tanning, and also by launderers as a source of ammonia to clean and whiten woolen togas. The buyers of the urine paid the tax.

The Roman historian Suetonius reports that when Vespasian’s son Titus complained about the disgusting nature of the tax, his father held up a gold coin and asked whether he felt offended by its smell (sciscitans num odore offenderetur). When Titus said “No”, Vespasian replied, “Yet it comes from urine” (Atqui ex lotio est).

The phrase Pecunia non olet is still used today to say that the value of money is not tainted by its origins.

12 Likes

Which reminds me – what was that one line from that one song?

Oh yes:

“Someone left a urinal cake out in the rain.”

6 Likes

Don’t piss on my cake and tell me it’s raining.

9 Likes

Preppers swear by freeze dried urine; it has a 30 year shelf life.

6 Likes

Time for Harry King to make an appearance.

But will they ever leak that recipe again?

6 Likes

The technical term for “pissing bricks” is kidney stones, and passing them is usually a very painful process.

10 Likes

That reminds me. It’s almost time for me to re-read Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle.

2 Likes

Nutrient pollution is a real problem. The urine part is more than just interesting, it’s pretty damn important.

4 Likes

Three things we won’t be running out of any time soon.

3 Likes