The home urinal movement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/03/the-home-urinal-movement.html

1 Like

I would expect a home model to be smaller. it seems like if you didn’t have to design for worst-case-scenario users, you could cut a lot of corners.

9 Likes

No.

tumblr_ljxqgtC1zr1qgpzvfo1_500

30 Likes

A friend of mine was renting a house for awhile built by a guy for himself and his three sons, and it had a urinal in the den. It was bizarre to see at first, but made total sense. If my bathrooms were large enough, I’d add one in a heartbeat.

4 Likes

I might be in the minority of men, but I do not think convenience is more important than cleanliness.

Sit the F down and pee.

Or at least lift the seat you goddamn savages.

57 Likes

I don’t get it. I don’t feel like using a traditional toilet has in any way made my life more difficult and installing a bathroom fixture only men can use seems a bit daft.

33 Likes

Bidet FTW. Girls and boys alike. Don’t waste space on a male only pissing place.

38 Likes

This is the truth. Bidets are the game-changing plumbing upgrade.

19 Likes

If they use significantly less water this could be a win.

11 Likes

That’s part of the point, definitely. Especially the new ‘waterless’ urinals. Something like this can save around 10,000 gallons a year.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the waterless ones in some Michigan freeway rest stops, but I can’t help wonder how much the cartridges cost compared to the water saved.

3 Likes

Great. Now all we need is a bathroom with enough space for an extra fixture.

3 Likes

I visited a friend who was staying in a condo owned by her friends, a gay couple. It made perfect sense for the two men to have a small urinal as well as a toilet in their bathroom. I always wondering how the eventual listing agent would sell its advantages to the average mixed-gender household!

6 Likes

“No need to worry about husband/son leaving the seat up.”

14 Likes

Urinals work at the office and at the mall because someone cleans them on a regular basis. Usually, it is not you. Urinals at home make the the urinal room smell like pee. The pee smell is more intense than a regular pedestrian toilet. Waterless urinals smell like pee more. If whizzing off of your porch or using the rest of the world as your urinal is not an option or there is no way of directly connecting your stream to nature, I am pro-urinal.

11 Likes

I’ve always wanted twice as many toilets to clean at home.

32 Likes

An assumption was made in the crafting of your statement.

2 Likes

The Home Urinal Movement

Not to be confused with the home bowel movement.

17 Likes

When I bought my house 10 years ago and was spending a lot of time at the local building recycle center they had a bunch of vintage water fountains. I really wanted to install one in the bedroom for quick sips and easy refilling of water glasses late at night. I didn’t win that marital argument. Seems like this would have been a nice feature.

7 Likes

I am with you. At my last place of employment there were puddles… MOTHER FUCKING PUDDLES OF PISS under the urinals every day. It was gross.
Also having regularly worn a kilt for awhile I am so aware of how much splashes back out of them.

29 Likes