Why didn't bidets catch on in the United States?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/09/why-didnt-bidets-catch-on-in.html

2 Likes

4 Likes

I think a whole lot of people are either grossed out by the idea of cleaning your butt (?) or think that using a bidet is too gay for them (??)

I say this as someone with a bidet attachment on every toilet in the house, which one or two people have said “oh cool!” about but the vast majority of houseguests’ reactions have ranged from “ewww!” to “me, use a bidet? ha ha, yeah right!”

The other problem, of course, is that cold-water bidets are really cold for part of the year, and most American houses don’t come with outlets near the toilet to plug in a warm-water version, so a bidet is a major investment.

18 Likes

Rename it “the Krud Kutter” and see if it fares better.

“Bidet? That sounds like that frilly blanket.”

8 Likes
19 Likes

I’m still confused between Plumber Joe and Joe Bidet. Glad I don’t have to vote.

14 Likes

As someone who has never even encountered a situation where a bidet might be available for use, I need some clarification. I assume soap is involved?

3 Likes

Usually no, just a spray of water. Most bidets have little knobs to control pressure and angle of spray. You do your biological business, give yourself a good spray of water, and pat dry with a (much smaller than otherwise) bit of toilet paper.

8 Likes

I still think I’d prefer some soap… :soap:

3 Likes

Do you currently use soap on your backside every time you poop? That sounds logistically difficult, especially in public…

1 Like

1970’s Finnish bidet advert. Maybe NSFW

1 Like

Well, I don’t have a bidet, either (and no feasible means presently). But if I did…

Hmmm…a bidet with a liquid soap reservoir option…

8 Likes

Take the advice of the great sage Redd Foxx… WASH YOUR ASS

11 Likes

I have one very similar to the $20 model in the original post, and it’s a game changer. There’s just no comparison between washing with water and wiping with a dry piece of paper. Obviously you still wash your hands using soap after, and you still wash yourself with soap when showering.

I wouldn’t wipe poop off my arm with a dry napkin and call it a day, so why would I do the same down south?

8 Likes

I’d still go the extra mile with soap. I’m already parked next to the hydrant. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Growing up in Venezuela we had one of the handheld wand versions so you pick it up from the side of the toilet and manually use it to clean yourself. It was actually pretty useful, i wouldn’t mind putting in a bidet in my future home… some day.

2 Likes

Just a nice spray of water to clean things off. Soap back there is not a good idea as it can irritate and dry sensitive parts.

7 Likes

Ok, I’ve always done that (where “always” is “as long as I’ve been working at a place that already had them”). I didn’t know if I was doing “wrong” or not.

Brondell GoSpa; 20 bucks, you take it anywhere, you control the temperature, you control the horizontal and the vertical

13 Likes

Because it’s much more manly to do a handstand in the shower?

8 Likes