Brief guide to what fruit and vegetables look like prior to domestication

A short but very entertaining read for anyone interested how humans have shaped tulip, cannabis, apple and potato species:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Botany_of_Desire

4 Likes

Are these necessarily mutually exclusive conditions?

I think that I am necessarily a product of my environment, and of the environment of each of my genetic ancestors.

I also think that my intelligence, consciousness, access to the sum total knowledge and innovation of my species, and a highly privileged cultural position provides me with an ability to control and manipulate that environment exceeding that of nearly any prior organism on the planet.

So, both.

3 Likes

I’ve had them a couple of times. They hurt.

I think that’s what happened with @Mister44 and @Peter_Brulls. 44 used it in the American sense meaning Maize. And Peter used it in the older/British sense of “grain”.

But yeah all grasses. Not even used to be grasses. Just grasses. All cereal grains are still technically grasses.

3 Likes

Those are all fair points and I can’t say I know anything about 17thC watermelon cultivars and sadly I don’t really live in a climate where I could experiment with heriloom watermelon varieties.

However you cut it the BI video as linked is wrong to say these large whorled melons are wild watermelons.

1 Like

Well, naturally.

No! You throw it to Who!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.