Brief history of text games

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/20/brief-history-of-text-games.html

9 Likes

Also read this:

4 Likes

I’m kind of disappointed that a documentation of text games has been done in video.

I used to play games like Snowball on the BBC Micro, so pure there were no graphics, only words.

3 Likes

For years, Jimmy Maher has been producing the definitive account of this space at his Digital Antiquarian site. Anyone interested in all the meticulous details should head there for days worth of reading. Amazing scholarship!

7 Likes

When I was in my teens, I played an MMORPG that was entirely text-based, called DragonRealms. All actions had to be typed in as well, so it taught me to type really fast.

Good times.

1 Like

Every low-spec minimal-install machine I cobble together is outfitted with the complete Infocom archive and a Z-interpreter. Love these games (even if I haven’t actually completed any of them - damn, they’re hard). :heart:

2 Likes

I played the original way, way back, and I kind of want to play the VR version just for the contrast.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.