Britain running out of booze

all I know is this better not interrupt my supply of London dry gin!

8 Likes

You’ve still got popcorn?

13 Likes

I’m getting it in from the precautionary stash I built up when Brexit was voted for. The fishing thing saw me eat a little, as did the whole petrol/driver shortage thing, but nothing so far has really been powerful enough for my taste. Booze shortages might just do it.

ETA if the deity is good to me, this WILL be reported on the BBC News tonight (just like BP closing 4 petrol stations was, and we saw what that led to).

5 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Fuck!

That is all.

10 Likes

You’re telling me Canada has a strategic maple syrup reserve, but Britain does not have a strategic booze reserve?

23 Likes

I presume the numbers look mostly the same internationally like they do in the US, where alcohol companies make their money/numbers mostly from people who drink heavily and likely have dependency issues. I would hope that this scarcity would have the unintended side effect of helping some realize that they have alcohol addictions, its an overly optimistic hope but i still wish for it to happen.

6 Likes
4 Likes

We’ve got a strategic idiocy reserve.

16 Likes

Unfortunately beer doesn’t do well when stored long term. There is such a thing as cellaring beer with the intention of saving it for a few years but it does affect the taste and usually negatively. Which reminds me i really need to break into some really nice beers i’ve had saved for a few years now

6 Likes

IIRC it used to have one, buildt up during the cold war - and then sold off under Thatcher.

6 Likes

Well, that sucks. And they can’t even fall back on smoking marijuana…

dance moms GIF by Lifetime Telly

11 Likes

puff puff pass weed GIF by WeedFeed

8 Likes

I did this early in the pandemic. It felt unwise to spend money on booze with so much uncertainty for the future so I ended up drinking the really good beers that were aging in the closet, gifts people had given over the years. I did discover that some fared very well and some not so much.

I also have a bottle of La Chouffe that I’ve had since somewhere around 2009-10, saving it for when I landed a job that I never have. That one will be interesting to open.

3 Likes

You have heard that climate change is having a serious impact on wine yields in Europe? It’s been getting more viable decade on decade in the UK, I can see a time when Italy is buying from them!

5 Likes

I have a westvleteren beer, which is a somewhat hard to find Belgian ale and i got two bottles. I drank one ages ago and enjoyed it, saved the other one to enjoy later and i just… forgot about it. I’m somewhat afraid to see how it’s fared 5 years later in my fridge

3 Likes

That’s in 2024, assuming that Labour doesn’t screw it up.

2 Likes

Johnson will call an election before then and Labour WILL screw it up. Sigh.

I suspect seeing him out of power requires the Tory party to realise they need a different leader.

6 Likes

Labor will flamingo up, but there’s a good chance that Mr de Pfeffel Johnson will be seen off by his own mob before 2024.

8 Likes

In politics it’s ALWAYS your friends that do you in rather than your enemies.

Obviously with the Nasty party more so.

9 Likes

Well, luckily, growing it locally seems to be something Brits are pretty good at, as long as there’s electricity?

3 Likes