Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/15/brexit.html

9 Likes

Am streaming it live, this is as Corbyn just said, the biggest defeat since the 1920s. The next few days will be interesting. I’m not sure this government is going to survive the week.

ETA: of course seconds after I wrote that Corbyn put in a motion of no confidence, it could all be over tomorrow. But this being brexit, probably not.

26 Likes

Unpopular? Why could that be? :thinking:

31 Likes

I was all set to get the original 13 colonies back into British hands! WTF!

19 Likes

Can I interest you in a very used Trump?

21 Likes

British politics is fascinating, within minutes the whole room has emptied and some poor fellow is talking about a train station. Spectacle over, check back tomorrow at 7 in the evening for more.

13 Likes

Well, this was kind of a forgone conclusion. No Deal Brexit is what all the Brexiteers always wanted anyway, to hell with any consequences. They couldn’t even agree on the details of what they actually wanted in an actual deal in the first place, and spent their entire campaign contradicting each other. No Deal was the only option they could back which wouldn’t require them to compromise or think about details.

Sadly for May and anyone still blindly hoping for us to cancel Brexit or otherwise find an alternative to No Deal, all these ultras have to do to get their way is to simply obstruct and undermine for a couple of months. We’ve no time left for a second referendum, and the EU doesn’t seem to see any benefit in giving us more time if it doesn’t achieve anything more (it won’t as long as the ultras keep obstructing.)

21 Likes

for anyone who might have misread that:
Table (verb)
1. US
postpone consideration of.
“I’d like the issue to be tabled for the next few months”
2. British
present formally for discussion or consideration at a meeting.
“an MP tabled an amendment to the bill”

65 Likes

It’s the train wreck that keeps on giving. If nothing else, this whole Brexit farce may rank as the most sustained display of governmental incompetence in the history of modern democracy.

The spectacle of an entire nation voting to shoot itself in the foot is one thing, but forty months on they’re still furiously reloading and somehow finding fresh feet to shoot themselves in.

53 Likes

This isn’t Battlestar, man!
Wait, wrong colonies…

9 Likes

I take it you haven’t been following American politics the last couple years then?

24 Likes

It’s a really tough competition!

13 Likes

If by the entire nation you mean just over half of those who voted. I voted remain and I’m still fighting to stop this. It seemed obvious to me that Brexit was a fucking stupid idea at the time of the vote and I have only been proven correct.

43 Likes

17 Likes

Can I change channel?
Cos this shit show is still on.
Will it ever end?

#brexithaikus

19 Likes

Trump: Hold my Diet Coke

29 Likes

I say the British meltdown is the more pathetic showing. Trump really doesn’t have a fucking clue, May should know better than this.

13 Likes

Knowing next to nothing of the UK system, isn’t it a bad idea for Corbyn to want a no-confidence vote at this time? Like, if May is ousted, does labor have the will to form a government?.. and if so, what would they do with a crash-out? It would be one thing if he said he would unilaterally stop Brexit, but so far, I haven’t heard the alternate plan… I actually probably don’t know what I’m talking about at all.

ETA… I guess a Labor Brexit would be better than the alternative (maybe less draconian), but they might end up taking the blame if it goes really bad.

3 Likes

This should obviously be settled once and for all via some sort of Fortnite battle.

4 Likes

She might; but I suspect she doesn’t care. Even other Tories think she’s cold.

5 Likes