Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

After this historic defeat there’s really no better time for this motion. May is weak right now and Labour have been hinting about this for so long that they can’t delay any longer or be thought weak themselves.

5 Likes

In fairness, it wasn’t an entire nation. It was ever so slightly more than half of the people who bothered to vote.

7 Likes

I’m not sure we can claim to be the original 13 colonies. Virginia is in there, but there were a number of other colonies established before all 13 rebellious colonies were founded (Barbados and Nova Scotia as examples)

6 Likes

Correction accepted. In my defense, “a slender majority of a nation voting to shoot themselves and everyone around them in the feet”, while more accurate, doesn’t trip off the tongue quite the same way.

Like you, I always thought Brexit was a legendarily stupid idea, but I have to admit that I failed to anticipate exactly how much worse they’d manage to make it. I mean, how do you cock up what’s already a catastrophe? I would have said it couldn’t be done, but the British political establishment has somehow managed to show us the way. Or ways.

20 Likes

Well, I have been reassuring myself for some time that even if we have completely lost our minds in this country, surely the rest of the world can keep it together for us. I guess that is a pipe dream. Gotta wonder if Putin had a hand in the Brexit vote as well. It would certainly fit the pattern.

7 Likes

Gee, I’m sure glad that bacon sandwich gifted us this strong, and stable government!

Surely May has to resign after hurtling into the record books with the biggest governmental defeat in history, sailing past the previous 166 margin loss to be crowned with a monstrous 230.

Instead, we have the likes of Kuenssberg being an apologist by saying she should, but brexit ripped up the rule book. Don’t give her wriggle room, just state that it is expected - as per parliamentary convention - that she announces her resignation as PM.

What May is doing is actually undermining our democracy.

7 Likes

I see that they could win, but what are they going to do with this awful situation?

2 Likes

Probably force a snap election to try for their own majority, surfing the wave of disgust for the Tories. Not a bad idea but not guaranteed to work either. They’ll have to get more time from the EU as well but that will probably not be a problem.

5 Likes
18 Likes

And were allowed to vote (which removed about a quarter).

4 Likes
╔══════════════════╦══════════════════════════╗
║ Margin of Defeat ║ Possible Outcomes        ║
╠══════════════════╬══════════════════════════╣
║ May wins         ║ Frankenbrexit            ║
║ 50 votes or less ║ EU offers concessions    ║
║                  ║ Quick 2nd vote           ║
║ 50-100 votes     ║ More negotiations        ║
║                  ║ Late 2nd vote            ║
║ 100+ votes       ║ No deal Brexit           ║
║                  ║ Soft Brexit              ║
║                  ║ General election         ║
║                  ║ 2nd Referendum           ║
║                  ║ Vote of No Confidence    ║
║                  ║ Backbench rebellion      ║
║                  ║ Currency collapse        ║
║                  ║ Zombie horrorcaust       ║
║                  ║ Global Thermonuclear War ║
╚══════════════════╩══════════════════════════╝

Per @beschizza’s last accounting, that puts us somewhere around “Zombie Horrorcaust” I guess? We got the call for No Confidence but nowhere does the table say these are mutually exclusive…

17 Likes

When 118 of your own MPs vote against your plan, perhaps…

19 Likes

The only thing Corbyn should be doing is very publicly trying to lay the foundation for a second referndum.

[Ron Howard: He isn’t and he won’t]

20 Likes

The debate for the vote of no confidence is happening tomorrow.

7 Likes

How could they win? The DUP have said that they will support the government (because they want the rest of their blackmail money.) The hardline Brexiters will support the government (because they want a No Deal Brexit.) The only question is over the anti-Brexit Tories, and most of them are not anti-May (which is the depressing part.)
So yes, we have the prospect of a government which clearly does not have the confidence of anybody, winning a confidence motion the day after suffering the biggest defeat recorded.
No, you couldn’t make it up.

17 Likes

I edited my initial statement to acknowledge this, but also to say – doesn’t say that these outcomes can’t double up.

2 Likes

Carol Cadwalladr certainly suspected something

Anyone else start feeling twitchy when Trump uses the words “final” and “solution” so close together?

2 Likes

That would be Donald Tusk, so no, I’m feeling fine.

14 Likes

capaldi-list-leonard-cohen|nullxnull

23 Likes

I swear I used to be able to read.

18 Likes