Prime Minister's Brexit plan defeated by 230 votes

Some of them actually do double up. If the government lose the vote of no confidence then there will be an election.

What wasn’t mentioned is martial law. The military are actively planning for what to do if there is a breakdown in society, which is never good.

9 Likes

The only thing we can be sure of at this point is that this shitshow could definitely get worse.

Whoopee /s

7 Likes

I’m genuinely curious. Do you have an in house photoshop person that puts mouths on eyes or does each blogger have to do it themselves?

7 Likes

That’s what they actually look like. It’s everything else that’s photoshopped.

23 Likes

But even if they get a majority they can’t stop Brexit… So…

If they wont give May more time, you think Corbyn could get it?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking…

4 Likes

I hear the next referendum is going to be about whether to build a coastal wall.

Apparently Germany is going to pay for it.

11 Likes

Unlike the UK, Germany could afford it…

7 Likes

I think they wanted all the benefits of being in the EU without any of the drawbacks. Beyond that, yeah they probably didn’t give it much thought.

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure Rob must have implemented it as a Photoshop plugin by now. Just for the time savings.

I picture his interface as looking something like this:

Fill Options:
Foreground
Background
Content-aware
Toothy eyes

23 Likes

Up until now he could (barely) plausibly deny that he played a part in failing to stop a hard Brexit. Time’s up for that.

5 Likes

The same thing happened to me. The tweet seemed awfully well-reasoned, though.

Every time I hear his name on NPR I get momentarily confused.

2 Likes

I’m just an interested Yank, but it seems like asking for an extension, plus holding a new referendum is the only way to go. It was obvious from the beginning that “low education voters” were suckered about what kinds of hell Brexit would involve. Now that everyone has had plenty of time to see the gory down sides, it would be very interesting to see how everyone feels about leaving the EU.

7 Likes

In the UK, the ruling party decides when to hold an election. They can call a new election anytime they like as long as it’s no more than X years (ISTR 5) since the previous one. It’s standard practice for the government to time elections for a moment when they feel strong and/or see the opposition as weak.

The exception, of course, is when the government loses a confidence vote and is unable to assemble a new ruling coalition - then there has to be an election, whether anybody is ready for it or not. Calling for no confidence at a moment when the government is weak is absolutely the smart thing for an opposition leader to do. (eta:) It ensures that they get to have an election when the ruling party is at their weakest.

ETA: and having failed to follow 21st century UK politics, my knowledge has become outdated.

8 Likes

A large proportion of them just want Brexit to happen already and wonder why thee politicians can’t just do it already.

1 Like

I can’t help wistfully hoping that the EU will jump in and say “UK Parliament didn’t vote for Brexit, therefore it’s unconstitutional, so you’re not leaving.” They did make noises to this effect some time ago (although quite quietly).
Anything that gets May and her cronies out is fine by me. That lot care for nothing but their pockets.

6 Likes

wrong Donald.

1 Like

Since the fixed term parliament act in 2010, this is no longer the case.

6 Likes

A problem with an extension are the european parliament elections in may. The other countries will be busy campaigning, and it would be slightly odd to have brits voting for a body they intend to leave soonish.

That, and there’s no believable outlook of an extension producing more coherent results, just continuing getting on everybody’s nerves.

1 Like

The problem is that Corbyn has also been pushing for Brexit, without any real plan, and while clearly a man with some positive ideas has proven himself a fairly lacklustre leader.

We could easily end up with a Labour government that pushes us into a badly thought out Brexit deal.

Meet the New Brexit, same as the Old Brexit…

14 Likes

Already tried, and it was about as successful as the Maginot Line.

1 Like