British Airways flight serves KFC after trouble with the airline food

3 Likes

I hated the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face.

3 Likes

From what I hear, that’s an upgrade.

6 Likes

How does grilled and fried have the same calories???

3 Likes

Yes but what does “original recipe” mean when the recipe is secret? How would we even know whats in it? I heard a podcast about Sanders years ago, they claimed chemical analysis showed not much more than salt/pepper/breading. I cant verify this, but “original recipe” sounds like a marketing ploy.

3 Likes

You could call them.

2 Likes

Quite. Burnt toast just won’t do.

4 Likes

I know right? Nice guy. Colonel Paco. He’s my neighbor, and he’s pro-vax. It’s cool.

IMG_4036

3 Likes

But I bet it ruffled some feathers with some passengers.

I wonder if airlines aren’t missing a revenue opportunity. Sell on-board fast food franchises. You can bet Ryanair and Easyjet are looking at this, right now. /s (??)

2 Likes

I realize that this would be a bummer for some passengers, and I’m no fan of KFC, but it’s almost certainly better than what they were planning to serve. I do wonder, though, if even good food would taste bad in the weird physical atmosphere of an airplane.

1 Like

12,000 lb. of deliciousness per spare engine, staged during the takeoff and a lee hour. There’d have to be a new Modern Cooking book.

2 Likes

Oh, we used to dream of getting KFC as an in-flight meal!
Alas, pater insisted on beluga every bloody time.

3 Likes

I feel like some airlines already do this?

It’s actually a bit interesting to me from a food safety perspective that the flight attendants were allowed to do this. Every hot meal I’ve received on an airplane is hot enough to obliterate the epithelial cells of my mouth if I’m not careful. But they’d have challenges keeping KFC hot enough on the trip from the fryer back to the plane and passengers.

Also, this strikes me as a great way to sneak contraband on board. Coordinate a food service catastrophe, sneak the drugs/money/etc. on the plane hidden inside KFC containers. Assuming that the rubbish from the plane isn’t closely inspected before disposal, mark the bags and someone fishes them out after they leave the secure area.

2 Likes

Sanders remained critical of Kentucky Fried Chicken’s food. In an article published by the Louisville Courier-Journal on October 8, 1975, he told journalist Dan Kauffman:[41]

My God, that gravy is horrible. They buy tap water for 15 to 20 cents a thousand gallons and then they mix it with flour and starch and end up with pure wallpaper paste. And I know wallpaper paste, by God, because I’ve seen my mother make it. … There’s no nutrition in it and they ought not to be allowed to sell it. … [The] crispy [fried chicken] recipe is nothing in the world but a damn fried doughball stuck on some chicken.

1 Like

Asked about the flight and bathroom situation later, one flight attendant said, “we have no egrets.”

Jackie Brown has entered the chat.

4 Likes

This echoes what I remember from that podcast. Sanders was stripped of any control and became a corporate mascot. He used to mix up the spices himself and distribute to his original stores. I see some theorized “original recipes” online, would love to try them.

1 Like

He moved to Canada and started up another chain, eventually absorbed by KFC. I wonder if the decline in quality from my memory of it is due to that? (I don’t think it’s just Good Old Days. Church’s Chicken is close to what I remember Scott’s Chicken being like.)

Or have celiac disease.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen in various places, the original recipe is nothing special. The secret sauce, so to speak, is a pressure fryer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.