British Airways won't let you check in while ad-blocking, insists that passengers post personal info to Twitter "for GDPR compliance"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/flagship-airline.html

5 Likes

Who wudda thought that legitimate businesses would be pimping your information all over the world for profit? And acting like you have no choice but to comply.

5 Likes

LOL, GFY British Airways

…Oops, should’ve been

LOL, GFY BA

8 Likes

I read some vaguely dystopian but hopeful techno sciency fiction about this sort of thing happening in “the future”… aww jeez, what was that guys name? :wink:

7 Likes

Sorry, under GDPR we can’t tell you. Try again in China, if your social score is high enough.

14 Likes

Okay, I’ll bite. What if you don’t have a Twitter account?

19 Likes

You have to take the bus.

10 Likes

Or have the oft-forgotten “private” Twitter account where you choose your followers.

In order to do DM’s with BA, you would have to grant them access to your private Tweets.

7 Likes

Thanks, BA, for giving me advance notice you don’t want my money.

16 Likes

In other news, the entire booking system on the National Express bus site here in the UK goes blank if you have an ad blocker.

Wonder if this’ll be a trend? And I wonder if I can construct a case against them under GDPR for it?

8 Likes

You gotta love some companies idiotic interpretation of data privacy.
I had spam from a company called Thyotic which included a link to their privacy policy which included

Purpose and Use
Thycotic processes your information only for direct marketing purposes, in the legitimate interest of itself as a B2B provider of products and services pertaining to your business or employer.

5 Likes

I’m sure if I was one of the cool kids I would know what DM means. I can tell from context it’s not dungeon master. Deutsch Marks?

7 Likes

Direct (ie, private) Message.

6 Likes

“We regret the inconvenience, but once the Brexit is fully operational, GDPR will no longer be an issue.”

5 Likes

Welp, I guess we’re adding “GDPR” to the Workplace Hitler’s Handbook of Confused Authoritarianism. You know, for use in online situations, where it would make even less sense than usual to justify your obnoxious orders to people who don’t work for you by repeating the phrase “Health & Safety”. Now you can say “GDPR” instead!

The irritating thing about that, aside from the behavior itself, is that you know the people who do it are the same people who complain about overbearing regulations to justify why they voted for Brexit. There’s a circularity to authoritarian “thought” that can only be answered with the hundred-hand slap.

7 Likes

Yeah, we’ll have GBPR then. That will be a message saying, “Mind your own fucking business!” :wink:

It won’t, of course, it will be all the worst parts of every totalitarian nightmare scraped up from around the world.

7 Likes

Oh you’ll totally have the same GDPR post Brexit. You’ve already promised that.

In another shock “British institution caught lying about European legislation in order to do something completely contrary to it while blaming Europe” shocker!

7 Likes

I’ve still got my fingers crossed that Brexit will drag on for so long that people will just forget about it, and we can continue along like before. I cherish the protection the EU gives us against our government.

9 Likes

Ours wouldn’t have bothered with stuff like equal pay for women without the EU (and unions to continually take the cases when they didn’t follow through).

For me the jaw dropping moment with Britain leaving the EU was last summer when the Torygraph had several front page articles trying to start a war with Spain (to preserve Gibralatar’s democratic rights - they of course voted overwhelmingly to remain) and prove with one satiric touch that no nation ever wanted it so much.

But then here in Ireland we tend to see the Tory/Britain First axis as being a hostile power.

8 Likes

Yet another confirmation of my good decision to give up on BA a decade ago. They are a shower of useless idiots coasting on a reputation of good service from the 1960s and 70s. Now (unless you are paying them $12,000 RT for a first class ticket across the Atlantic) they are Ryan air without the low prices.

2 Likes