Musk planning to block Twitter access in Europe

Originally published at: Musk planning to block Twitter access in Europe | Boing Boing

11 Likes

It’s a start.

32 Likes

And Xitter continues to turn into xhit

17 Likes

Do it dumbass. Let’s see how the huge banks who lent you the money react to a billion potential users getting blocked because of your hubris

32 Likes

espn simmons GIF

18 Likes

If they’re less than 6% of revenue, they’d like it.

4 Likes

Is there a suitable equivalent to “don’t threaten me with a good time” in the correct 24 languages? If so I think I’ve inferred the EU position.

18 Likes

I think this is supposed to be a threat as a negotiation tactic. I don’t think he realises that nobody cares about Twitter anymore and that EU regulators don’t negotiate.

(If he had had lobbyists working for him when the laws were drafted, he’d probably have been able to influence them, but that requires forethought)

20 Likes

To be fair, when it comes to being ‘detached from reality’ he really is a competent expert for a change.

16 Likes

I was a habitual Twitter consumer (didn’t post much, but got a lot of my updates for what was going on out there from it) for about five years. I say “was” because I finally got Mastodon set up this week after having enough of the nonsense from neu-Twitter and I’m gonna do my level best to swap that in. It’ll be painful, like dropping Facebook was painful six years ago, but :man_shrugging:

15 Likes

So Europe, without spending a penny, gets rid of a major source of ultra-right propaganda?

Can the US be next? PLEEEEASE?!?!!?

Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

28 Likes

No, Canada first! Sorry…

14 Likes

“Because I gutted my Trust and Safety Department as a cost-saving measure, I am unable to comply with the requirements needed to operate in the European Union, and will therefore sacrifice all the revenue that I might have earned from that market. Follow me on X for more winning four-dimensional chess moves.”

20 Likes

Here in the UK Xitter carries advertising from major companies, so if the same is true in the EU there must be some money coming in.

4 Likes

Elmo seems to be running out of feet to shoot himself in.

14 Likes

I welcome this plan. Almost everybody I know here (France) has already switched to Mastodon instances but there are a few of my friends, mostly conservatives, who just will not let go of Twitter no matter how bad it’s getting.

12 Likes

Good.

4 Likes

They are literally addicted, IMO.

5 Likes

Musk: I’ll leave! I swear, I’ll do it!

Europe:

Goodbye!
Adiós!
Au revoir!
Auf Wiedersehen!
Arrivederci!
Adeus!
Tot ziens!
Do widzenia!

13 Likes

I mean, it sounds like a bluff/empty threat/promise (that he thinks would freak out regulators), but I would love to see it happen.

Most people would probably just shrug and use something else. Devoted users would probably connect via a vpn. And the garbage fire will burn a little less bright.

10 Likes