British Library posts 1m copyright-free images online

[Read the post]

1 Like

not terribly impressed with the image quality.

Image taken from page 701 of 'History of Vermont, etc'

1 Like

Titled “Switzerland in the nineteenth century. Edited by Swiss writers headed by P. Seippel”
Not sure about the caption.

1 Like

Yup, looks like it was done with Macpaint.
I wonder how hard it would be to (automatically) convert these all to vector art.

Most of the illustrations can be expanded by clicking with a magnifying glass icon. I liked the album selection.

4 Likes

This is how you scan an engraving for the web. Each line individually resolvable by the eye

The Works of Publius Virgilius Maro: Translated, Adorned with Sculpture, and illustrated with Annotations

(download the 8 Megapixel image for full res)

No, the full text isn’t there (just two pages), but I’m not so sure that the British Library has placed fulltext online.

5 Likes

This has been around for over two years.

1 Like

Perhaps some folks who could make good use of the images missed the news of its initial launch.

3 Likes

Heh, heh, and you’ve been around here for over two years…and that looks to be your first comment. :wink: Glad to see you’re making headway. :smiley:

Also: Welcome!

3 Likes

“Buffalo Bill! The Buckskin King or the Amazon of the West” Are they questioning William Cody’s sexuality?

Thank you for the welcome. I used to read BB on a regular basis but didn’t comment much, even before bbs, but I reserved a name anyway. I happened to see a Xeni tweet that brought me to this post. I guess I was just surprised that BB didn’t cover it when it first happened in December 2013.

1 Like

Thanks for your gracious reply. I was a bit worried that I might have offended by teasing a bit. I myself don’t post all that much. Again, welcome!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.