British Muslim family denied boarding on Disneyland trip flight

The best for the airline (ignoring accounting rules) is it received a $13k loan at 0% interest. The actual worst thing is bad marketing.

It boggles the mind.

4 Likes

It would seem Trump is now making US policy, because your DHS has already determined the outcome of the election.

1 Like

It’s a Norwegian airline, so there are problems with that. (For those who might want to avoid it in future, along with Ryanair, I think it is actually called “Norwegian Airlines”).

Pretty scummy behaviour from a company based in one of the richest countries per capita on Earth.

1 Like

It sounds bad, and I wouldn’t be surprised if racism turned out to have played a part, but I think it’s a little premature to conclude that the US already has a policy of revoking visa waivers for anyone who sounds Muslim. Presumably the thousands of other British Muslims who’ve flown to the US since then didn’t have any problems…

Gofundme page to send them to Disneyland Paris or Tokyo Disneyland?

I am also suffering from apoplectic-rage-induced loss for words but we really need to take steps to undermine the attempts by this regime to radicalise these youngsters.

3 Likes

While eminently practical and intuitive, I suspect “Well, so what?” lacks a certain something as a legal doctrine. Perhaps it would sound better in Latin.

Quid tam bene.
A quid tam bene.
Super quid tam bene.
Class quid tam bene.
Serve the fuckers with a quid tam bene.

2 Likes

Well, the precedent should be that the U.S. reimburses the people directly since it was our government that denied the people the right to travel. It’s not like they got to sell those seats to anybody else last minute or anything.

Otherwise it’ll be okay for large airlines and travel destinations and such, but smaller ones will start to get screwed.

Plus don’t forget it was our government that was horrible assholes in this case, let’s not lose sight of the ball!

2 Likes

From TFA:

They are part of a growing cohort of British Muslims who have been denied entry to the USA without explanation.
(Although the Guardian article only mentions one other person by name)

That said, it’s well known that Americans like to think of Brits as baddies (source: every Hollywood film ever), so people who look like terrorists* but have British accents must scare the shit out of them.

• aka; look like how they imagine terrorists look like
4 Likes

I’m sure that the UK does. But not for the good reasons that she wants them to.

I get where you’re coming from, and I have to admit I had similar thoughts at first[quote=“iquitos46, post:19, topic:71123”]
Just because you got hated on, please don’t become haters yourself.
[/quote]

But even this has seeds of the same problem - it’s assuming/worrying that muslims are no better than this, that they will fail to separate the discrimination they face from the rest of society, and as a result will become radicalized.

It’s not about using kid gloves, it’s about doing the right thing. We need to show this family we care because they are human and deserve justice, not because we think they’ll turn into bomb wielding jihadists if we don’t. Let’s give people some credit.

In a way, sorry doesn’t cut it. Sorry doesn’t change the fact that systemic discrimination exists, that we allow politicians to use fear to control us. Publicly denouncing what happened and demanding openness from government is the only way to make amends.

5 Likes

I don’t think this gives the youngsters enough credit. To be sure, unfairly blocking them from a dream vacation doesn’t help anything, but you’re assuming

1-That the kids are at risk of radicalisation to begin with;
2-That they are incapable of separating the actions of the state from a public that has generally been accepting of ethnic diversity, even if there is a vocal minority that denounces it.

It does give ISIS fodder to say “hey, these Westerners don’t give a shit about you”, but it does not mean these individuals are any more at risk.

My understanding of radicalization is that it’s driven by stoking religious fervour; ISIS isn’t fighting to get their followers into Disneyland.

I was making (or attempting to make) a joke about the anti-radicalisation protocols recently made a requirement of many institutions in Britain, including schools.

The idea being that the UK government thinks that even such incidents as a single mention of the phrase ‘eco-terrorist’, by a student in school, in a class concerning such a topic, requires that student to be put under the watchful eye and interview process of a an invasive and Orwellian anti-radicalisation board.

I was therefore comparing, within the context of the joke, the states to a regime which sought to radicalise children through the projection of their fearful and anti-muslim behaviour.

I hope I’ve unpacked that enough for you.

3 Likes

:wink:

5 Likes

I fell back on my snark reflex but have recently made headway in minimising even that.

Next it will be my sophist rants and I will be but a shell.

8 Likes

Given the damage done by DEFRA such as allowing antibiotics of last resort to be given to livestock, they’re soon going to have to ban the discussion of ecology in schools, let alone eco-terrorism, if they don’t want to get an adverse reaction to their policies.

3 Likes

Explained jokes are like a reheated pizza.
Still pretty good. :smiley:

4 Likes

We Americans are right to think of the Brits as bad guys.

Our women find their accents very sexy!

3 Likes

I have literally never once seen this be open at Disneyland, ironically.

Edit: I wonder if Disney is refunding them? Park tickets alone for 11 people had to have been another $1200 minimum, and if they were in a resort hotel that’s not cheap either.

1 Like

My brother and his family are at Disney Land for Christmas this year. Why not this family?
ARARAGH! This f***ing world…