British road barriers, modeled on children, stare into you

They kind of remind me of the extra characters from the children’s program Davey and Goliath. Now I have A Mighty Fortress is Our God stuck in my head.

10 Likes

actually I think this is just more proof for my theory that sometime in 2016, reality was inverted and we were thrown into an ongoing Dr. Who serial.

5 Likes

I just googled ‘Richard D. James mask’ and now I feel that citizens of this town have an artistic responsibility to paste his mug on every one of these things.

3 Likes

These are totally a Dr. Who prop.

3 Likes

I had the very same thought when I saw those bollards.

I think anything that gets drivers to ignore children that they see near the road, because they’re used to seeing them as inanimate objects is a bad idea.

The toddler-sized safety posts were designed to be more attention-grabbing than the standard poles, and are.

There will be unintended consequences.

Drivers probably do pay a lot more attention when they see children standing on the side of the street. By tricking drivers and hijacking that reaction to get them to notice inanimate barriers, we desensitize the drivers to the presence of actual children at the side of the road.

You want creepy bollards?

6 Likes

Considering the current state of affairs in the world I would blink a lot if I saw them.

4 Likes

This is an amazing complement to the anti-loitering design topic.

Hey, look, more unpleasant design… but for a purpose.

2 Likes

Vandalism: let’s drive by that thing and hit it with a baseball bat.
Ooops, why is there blood on my bat?

1 Like

3 Likes

are-you-mummy

4 Likes

Some people are terrified of snakes or spiders. Why give this particular unreasonable fear special attention?

1 Like

And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will get a restraining order.

2 Likes

I suggest therapy. You’re driving through someone’s neighborhood. Their activities might be just as important as your desire to proceed unobstructed.

I need therapy for not running over objects illegally obstructing the road in my own neighborhood - objects that they leave in the street 24/7 and purport to tell you to slow down for the children who I have never seen while driving down the street?

That seems like an expensive non-issue to get therapy for. Do I need to have the doctor check for demons in my stomach too?

I didn’t say NEED. I just suggested it. I was being overly confrontational. My new year’s resolution will be “don’t poke the Boinger”.

There is always money in the banana cones

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.