British worker thrown in Dubai prison for asking crooked car dealer "How do you sleep at night?" message on Whatsapp

Tbh, it could be understood as ‘how about I come to you at night and slit your throat?’, specially in a country with a different language.

It isn’t a country which has a right to speech. So, that one.

1 Like

How do you sleep at night?

3 Likes

I have a coworker who visited Dubai two years ago for holiday the first time. Since then she was there 3 times and is gushing constantly about what a great place it is. I tried to warn her that as a foreigner you’re basically without any legal protection (especially as a women) but the picture Dubai presents to visiting foreigners is hard to counter. When all goes well it’s seemingly fantastic but when the shit hits the fan you’re fucked.

3 Likes

Please don’t murder me :frowning:

4 Likes

tumblr_n3s8nuQI6T1shnxxbo1_500

:wink:

1 Like

Honestly, that’s true anywhere. Depending on the place, citizens may or may not have rights. But non-citizens? It’s pretty much open season, limited only by the whims of whomever is making the judgment.

Witness the incidents of Canadians being sent to Middle Eastern prisons to face torture in the aftermath of 911 for the crime of transiting through the USA. (The Canadian government accepted this - there are no innocent governments here).

Your chances are probably a lot higher of running into trouble as a foreigner is some countries than others, but leaving the protection of your own country behind is always a risk.

The real question is whether that risk is worth it. And choosing to go abroad indicates to me that for most people, it is.

2 Likes

I’m reasonably save as long as I stay in Western Europe/ Schengen countries as I’m protected by several bilateral treaties, EU treaties and the ECHR. I don’t think French, Belgian, Austrian, Dutch etc legal protection/rights are any less good/fair than those of my home country as they all adhere to the European Convention on Human Rights.

4 Likes

I stand corrected. I hadn’t thought about the EU. There are probably a few other exceptions that I’ve missed as well. But not many.

2 Likes

As Britain First are still not a proscribed terrorist organisation despite only existing to ‘disrespect’ people who are not cis, heterosexual WASPs, I suspect @larson9999 will be safe here.

1 Like

Will a Very Important Person in the digerati be along shortly to explain why it’s not that big of a deal, that many Western countries have done the same or worse, things will improve if you’re part of the solution, etc.? Or is that not a thing any more?

4 Likes

Saying something rude to a person or disparaging a business in Dubai are illegal, though. It doesn’t even have to rise to the level of a threat. Also it’s not unknown for foreigners to get arrested, on bogus charges, for having business disputes with local companies, too.

4 Likes

Probably the “i’m sure we will see each other very soon” was interpreted as a threat.

the penultimate episode of Grand Tour was filmed there. not a peep about their slave labor practices from the plucky brits

3 Likes

In addition to this it also sounds like everything about it totally sucks. It’s a desert, women have to wear ninja smocks, no booze or drugs, etc.etc.

5 Likes

YouTube shouldn’t cancel Logan Paul’s channel they should just inform him there has been a change of location from Japan to Dubai.

2 Likes

I assume you’re questioning the England angle. If that’s the case, if I happened to be in the presence of something Royal and needed to follow protocol, I surely wouldn’t.

Don’t want to risk a chance encounter with the Queen’s motorcade where I accidentally flip her off and, well, “Off with his head!”

I’d say the chance of any kind censure from committing lese majeste here is vanishingly small compared to that of being shot for committing lese de les policieres in the US, to be fair.

7 Likes

Veils don’t work, gotta put those threats in a hijab if you don’t what them to be seized on.