Britney Spears calls for wealth distribution and a general strike amidst coronavirus shutdown

Would this system, if executed effectively, not leave the government pennyless?

1 Like

I can’t not read into the lyrics of that song specifically, after having learned about the Ace of Base’s founding member’s sordid past.
I wonder at what point in her life (before shaved head) did Britney realize that she was a pawn in everyone else’s game of the exploitation of her objectified self.
Sometimes I feel her 2002 hit film Crossroads is just an allegory for the world religions at odds with one another…
Britney is just too deep and misunderstood… right?

20 Likes

Wow. That’s amazing.

10 Likes

1 Like

Well, have you seen Brewster’s Millions? I may put too much faith in movies, but the lesson I took from that is that it’s hard to spend obscene sums of money without accumulating more wealth, and if they can’t get down to that $10 million threshold, anything over it goes to the government.

Also that was just something I’ve been mulling over. I can’t imagine it happening or working in this fucked up world where greed is the highest virtue.

7 Likes

Mr Candy and Mr Pryor are so missed right now.

1 Like

You mean the government that prints all the money? :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

The 80s produced a lot of pop culture celebrating obscene wealth for the sake of obscene wealth.

6 Likes

Although, Brewster’s Millions goes back to a 1902 book, and the 1985 film was the seventh American version.

7 Likes

Quick interjection. Anarchism doesn’t mean no rules; it means no rulers. It’s the other end of the spectrum from monarchy.

12 Likes

For sure. Totally with you on that front, thanks for pointing that out, it’s an important distinction. I think where I’m coming from is that from time to time I’ve met some, shall we say, lifestyle-anarchist types who wouldn’t necessarily go along with the no no-rules thing.

2 Likes

No coercion.

No gods.

No masters.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’d make one distinction there though. Belief in gods, goddesses or other higher powers is compatible - even though I don’t personally believe in such - as long as it’s non-coercive.

3 Likes

fuck me.

There were reports that a 72-year-old Italian priest who died from coronavirus gave up his ventilator. That didn’t happen.

D̶o̶n̶ ̶G̶u̶i̶s̶e̶p̶p̶p̶e̶ ̶B̶e̶r̶a̶r̶d̶e̶l̶l̶i̶ ̶r̶e̶e̶s̶t̶a̶b̶l̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶’̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶i̶g̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

6 Likes

Just earlier this evening, in fact; I showed it to my teenager.

9 Likes

I’d love to vote “None of the above”

2 Likes

Charity is not Change

5 Likes

Original or remake?

1 Like

That was a great movie. But it would take me less than a week to kill $10,000,000.