Britney Spears calls for wealth distribution and a general strike amidst coronavirus shutdown

Either, both? I’ve seen both but not in over a decade. What I took away from it was not only that it’s hard to get rid of large sums of money without having something tangible to show for it, but that it was meant to make the protagonist sick of spending money, to make him more frugal. But again, years since I saw the films.

You aren’t wrong, but I think the underlying message of that film helped somewhat shape the way I am now, and I’m very much anti-obscene wealth. It wasn’t until the last few years that I’ve honed my distaste for the obscenely wealthy into straight up anti-capitalism. Not that I’m wearing a sack cloth and living on a street corner. Yet. I still have to move through this stupid world. But I don’t have to like it (and maybe not for much longer if how I’m feeling right now is an indication of bigger things to come soon).

If possible, without leaving yourself with assets that add to your wealth, great. (If I recall correctly, he had to be left with just the clothes on his back, and could only give a certain percentage away to charity, plus he had the lawyer trying to fuck him over at every turn, as so many lawyers do.)

The people who end up with your $10 million will in turn have it added to their wealth, and will be tasked with getting rid of it until they are also at the threshold of $10 million. Like money hot potato. Added to that, if you waited until close to the end of the tax year, they will have even less time to pass off their potatoes.

Without straight up destroying wealth, it has to go somewhere and the system right now is deigned to pool it rather than spread it. So the pools will be skimmed until they are back to the base level, and all the runoff will be used to – ideally, maybe idealistically – improve the lives of everyone, and not just the fucking rich.

3 Likes

Anyone looking for life advice from celebrities or feel good Instagram postings to begin with is probably headed for trouble.

In this case, to quote Milton Friedman: “Of course, none of us are greedy, it’s only the other fellow who’s greedy.”

1 Like

Also Milton Friedman: “Pinochet! Fuck Yeah!”

3 Likes

It looks that she has gone round the bend, fully. Now she is claimimg to have run a sub 6 second 100 meter dash. She is faster than Bolt!

Is everyone with a lot of money evil or just the ones who do evil things?

What an utter piece of shit as a human being…

4 Likes

That’s a great philosophical question. I imagine first we would have to agree on what is “a lot.” I’m betting we have different opinions on that.

Maybe the only rich people we hear about are the ones doing unpleasant, greedy, evil, or horrible things?

But it really seems like that is a good chunk of them, and non-evil rich people appear to be the outliers.

There’s also a question of mindset. Excessive wealth changes a person. And nobody sees themselves as evil, they always have good reasons in their mind for anything they say or do.

Putting people back to work before a pandemic has abated? That’s good business sense and is best for everyone in the long run.

Advocating for old people to just hurry up and die so the economy can rebound? The economy is the most important thing, and anyone that doesn’t agree is a fool.

Selling stocks for quite the windfall when you know something someone else doesn’t? Shrewd.

etc.

My personal belief is that, unless someone earned their massive fortune through pure luck, they’ve done something someone would classify as “evil” along the way to build it. Even if it was something that could be considered non-action, like looking away from things that are outright evil because they weren’t the ones doing them, and it benefited them to not stop it, that’s something I classify as “evil” behavior.

Another personal belief I have is the accumulation of excessive wealth – by which I mean as more than someone reasonably needs to move through the world (a garage full of cars, a house in multiple countries, two yachts, a private jet or three, etc) – is a sin against every other person that is sharing this world. It is hoarding resources because they can, not because they need them.

But then I’m a guy who has never had more than $5,000 in the bank at one time. What do I know?

3 Likes

If you pass by someone bleeding out on the sidewalk, and could easily help them but don’t bother, are you still a good person? Because once you hit a billion dollars, you’re essentially doing that every moment of every day. The estimated cost of stopping climate change for a decade was an amount someone like Bezos could donate and still never live with a moment of discomfort; even if we supposed he stopped doing actively evil things, is it wrong to judge him for not caring to?

5 Likes

Some of my best friends are Samaritans.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.