Britons unbowed by terrorists—or by the hysterical Islamophobes demanding they panic

Some entrepreneur out there should market a wider Kurta for more freedom of movement. Think of the moves that could be busted!

3 Likes

I’m assuming you’ve also read Richard A. Clarke’s “Against All Enemies”. It’s been a long time since I read it, but it was an excellent summary of the problems he faced in trying to advise on these kinds of issues.

Now, it’s just an interesting historical document. I think I might go and add it to my reading pile, to see if I spot anything new…

2 Likes

No I haven’t, but like most of the titles I’ve added to my reading list in the past few months (yours now included), most came from BB recommendations!!

3 Likes

I prefer “Daesh”: it pisses them off, it’s an insulting wordplay, and it comes from the first victims of those assholes.

7 Likes

I suspect it may be a bit steeped in the politics of its time (lots of anti-Bush views), but it was certainly enlightening. I could be wrong, but I think this is the book where I first read about the (unintentionally) hilarious prelude to the USS Cole attack.

(I’m just trying to check that, but it turns out my copy was bought for an ebook reader on the Palm platform, so I first need to install something that can read .pdb ebooks!)

1 Like

No problem for me. :smiling_imp:

You should read “By Way of Deception” by Victor Ostrovsky (ex-Mossad agent); it touches on the handling of intelligence regarding the USS Cole incident.

1 Like

Added to my reading list - thanks!

1 Like

And the media duly do their duty of wall to wall coverage and commentary. It is definitely a way to be famous.

And a stiff wire brush.

3 Likes

of people in Manchester singing “Don’t Look Back In Anger”

That’s pretty nice, but I’m still on Team Blur.

2 Likes

This is the Britain that I love.

That belongs pinned prominently on a quoteboard somewhere where everyone can see it.

6 Likes

Having a bogeyman is Politics 101.

I think Machiavelli mentions it as a great idea about halfway down page 1 of The Prince.

These modern day shucksters wth their ugly facemasks (seriously - when in Theresa May going to show us what she really looks like?), they’re just copy pasting from the playbook.

2 Likes

Try Calibre: https://calibre-ebook.com/. It’s really good at cataloguing, converting, and reading e-books in all sorts of formats.

3 Likes

There should be some sort of reasonable reaction. Neither general attacks on the Muslim population nor denying that Islam is a factor seem to be effective tactics.
I would very much like to see why the authorities did not act after being notified about Abedi’s extremist views by the mosque.The cooperation of the Islamic communities is the only viable solution that makes any sense to me. Ignoring warnings from them seems like a terrible idea.

and go shopping! W said we should shop the hell out of terrorism, or something :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Context is everything. The recession began in April 2001, I think, and consumer confidence went in the toilet. In September, that became the terrorists fault. If you blame the economy on the Enemy, then consumption becomes a patriotic duty.

1 Like

Lack of manpower to treat properly every alert without police overreach?

Probably so. But the sensible thing to do would be to reallocate resources to meet current threats.

Who are those deniers you find so worthy of mention? And why do you find them so worthy of mention?

5 Likes