Fear that far-right terrorists will stage attacks if Brexit is canceled

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/not-lone-wolves.html

9 Likes

Screw those right-wing populist thugs and their threats. Be prepared and vigilant, yes, because a cornerstone of fascism is following through on promises of violence. But anyone who uses fear of what they might do as an excuse to do nothing or keep dicking around in regard to Brexit is playing right into their hands. It’s the same attitude of appeasement that made WWII a close-run thing for Great Britain.

24 Likes

Fear is good. Preparation is better. It doesn’t matter what these idiots think they can do, as long as they are stamped to death as soon as they poke their vile little heads out.

18 Likes

Two problems with that plan:

1. Reacting to violence enthusiasts with more violence is the outcome they are rooting for; Escalating violence is where they are most comfortable.
  2. These assholes figured out years ago that they couldn’t expect to beat the police and military as a scattered, self-trained militia. They encouraged their members to join the military and police for training, access to weapons, and a chance to control the groups that should be opposing them.

We can’t count on a brawl between punks and skinheads being the extent of the violence in 2019. This video clearly shows that these guys are already “sticking their heads out” as politicians and soldiers; The institutions we rely on to protect us are already compromised and we need a better plan, yesterday.

10 Likes

Fuck them. Let them come out in the open. It makes it easier when they aren’t pretending to be like the rest of us.

8 Likes

No, the outcome they are rooting for is for those they hate to lie down and let themselves be kicked to death.

So is your advice to wait patiently for a better plan? Here’s how it was done the last time:

Fascists and their supporters quickly got the message that there were consequences for their actions and rhetoric, and that not all their intended victims would simply lie down.

30 Likes

Yes, it’s much better to stand still and sing “Kumbaya” while people with guns and knives and clubs attack you. Yes, that produces much better results.
For the attackers.
Get real.
If you can.
Which you probably can’t.

9 Likes

Does anyone get Priti Patel? She seems so random to me. Like a completely hollow person who’ll latch onto any random shite just for the sake of feeling something.

2 Likes

“How is it wrong for the Army to train against terrorist-supporting, Jew-hating, Commie revolutionaries?”

Wait, Fascists like Jews now? Or is this just the fabled Anti-Semite card?

5 Likes

I don’t really care where they’re sticking their heads out of, as private citizens or having infiltrated police and military. Once someone outs himself as a Nazi, he’s toast. No quarter. As for these morons wanting violence? Cool. Not sure how they’re gonna escalate anything from under a boot. Do it right the first time, and the roaches stay dead.

15 Likes

They like Jews, but only if they go to Israel to be part of the End Times mass human sacrifice.

20 Likes

27 Likes

A little while back, I saw news articles in which Theresa May was reported as saying “If we don’t deliver Brexit, some people are going to be very angry and might get violent” (probably not her exact words, and I can’t now find any reputable sources that report precisely what she did say). If true, that’s an almost Trumpian – not to say straightforwardly fascist – tactic. “Maybe you should just quiet down now, because if you get Those People angry there’s no knowing what they might do, and I won’t be able to protect you.”

The Intercept’s take seems to be a little different from that. To be honest, though, I think we’re going to see a continued uptick in right-wing violence anyway and there’s not that much difference between “fascists get violent because they’re angry about Brexit being canceled” and “fascists get violent because they’re emboldened by Brexit going ahead”. Fascists gonna fash. I suppose the main difference will be in target-selection: if Brexit gives a rubber stamp to their dreams of xenophobia, then they’ll probably just go after non-white/left-wing/queer people. If Brexit doesn’t happen then we may see indiscriminate violence aimed at punishing the whole country for failing to dance to their tune. It’s a fine distinction, though, and one that only matters to people who aren’t in their target demographic anyway.

17 Likes

Thus far they mostly seem to be too dim to inflict harm. There were a couple of slogan’d up devices recently left on train tracks - intended to short the tracks, which would suggest a train on the line and force the network to stop. I think we upgraded from that system to axle-counting because of … an EU directive.

Ha. Fuck 'em.

11 Likes

This is already happening Brexit loons have, reportedly, sabotaged the railways. Are counter-terrorism police interested? no. And only the Guardian ran the story. Imagine if that was left-wing or gasp Muslim Propaganda of the deed…

9 Likes

The problem is they only need to succeed once

That doesn’t mean we should give in to them, in fact we should be doing the opposite. Resist them all the time, for everything they do.

17 Likes

Dim, perhaps, and I agree with the rest of your comment. But given the chance and circumstances they’ve already inflicted harm. Most notably:

14 Likes

LONG-AWAITED ANTI-FASCISTS FINALLY DISRUPTING A LARGE GATHERING OF WHITE SUPREMACISTS AFTER EVENTUALLY TELLING ISOLATIONISTS TO SHOVE IT

Hate to fix that for you, but that patriotic edge really needed to be blunted a bit.

11 Likes

To be fair, some people from the US decided to come to defend Britain before the US was at war. Unfortunately some others decided to go to Italy and Germany instead

10 Likes

Here’s an AfD campaign poster from the Bavarian elections at the end of last year:

As I understand it, the text means something like “German common culture! Islam-free schools!”

(In fairness to the Mogg, the speech in the video he retweeted was about how Chancellor Merkel was handling the Brexit negotiations, not immigration or Muslims. But still, dude. Optics.)

6 Likes