Fear that far-right terrorists will stage attacks if Brexit is canceled

Even Roosevelt was sending military aid under the guise of “surplus”, but they wouldn’t allow any destroyers.

It always seems proper action comes too late in these matters.

6 Likes

He keeps doing it though.

I believe he is a master of the dog whistle.

15 Likes

Fuck’s sake.

2 Likes

He would have felt right at home with this posh bunch:

(Maybe that’s unfair, though. Those appeasers might have found Rees-Mogg’s overt embrace of fascists distasteful.)

6 Likes

On the whole, though, this country needs Delingpole like it needs another Thatcher. If Britain really is as bad as he says, then I’d happily pay him to go and live in America, where he’d be about as controversial as a Liberal Democrat. This silly man needs to alert himself to what constitutes real hardship, as opposed to imagined grievance. Right now."
– Hanley, Lynsey (19 March 2007). “A reasonable man”. New Statesman .

3 Likes

I think Diana and Unity Mitford were more his scene

6 Likes

To quote the article:

Robinson, who is now an adviser to the pro-Brexit party UKIP

It’s frightening the way these fascists are being given a platform, I don’t ever think UKIP are a legit platform but they did have an MP and you can bet they’re going to get a resurgence if their supporters feel it’s not going the way they want. It feels like a powder keg just waiting to explode and someone mentioned suspicious devices being left on rail lines but I would argue it’s been heading this way ever since jo cox was murdered. Then we have a political establishment and associated papers calling people on the left or judges enemies of the people and traitors so is it any wonder why this has wormed its way into the psyche of an extremist minority. The tories have consistently called corbyn a traitor to the country and someone who pals around with terrorists and now they want to parley with him.

4 Likes

The last time I heard someone warn about “waking the dragon”, he got a gold crown poured on his head.

4 Likes

Knock yourself out. I didn’t write it. Just linked to the pic

1 Like

Which explains James Garner’s RAF uniform in The Great Escape.

7 Likes

After visiting the National WWII museum in New Orleans, I was introduced to some history that had been ignored/glossed over in my high school curriculum. It was pretty amazing how many people had been either fooled by German intent (Charles Lindberg being one) or just plain burying their heads in the sand.

In today’s affairs, I guess it’s easy to see the resurgence of race-based fascism, because the entire time, the US and UK have never really practiced what they preached.

12 Likes

On the plus side you had people like William Stephenson, who took on the role of trying to get the US into the war ASAP. Stephenson was a Canadian spy working for the British (and with copious assistance by FDR and Co) to undermine the Isolationists, Nazi Sympathizers and actual Nazi spy networks. The book “A Man Called Intrepid” is a good read on his exploits

9 Likes

I think it would be wonderful if someone wrote a plug-in for Chrome which would automatically replace “Tommy Robinson” with “the convicted violent criminal and fraudster Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, who now styles himself Tommy Robinson”.

The difficult is there must be some people on the Internet whose name is really Tommy Robinson, and it would be a nasty smear on them.

2 Likes

And John Barrowman’s in Doctor Who.

5 Likes

I think it’s a lot more likely that they’ll see violence due to violating a peace accord that they are signatory to by closing the British border in Ireland.

1 Like

I’m absolutely terrified of what British army thugs are going to get up to in Ireland in the near future. They never stopped their activities. They still have many assets here and have infiltrated the Gardaí (police). When they recommence providing arms and logistics for loyalist terrorists under an isolationist Tory post-Brexit toxic state…

2 Likes
8 Likes

But maybe not during their actual education with the cricket bat though.

3 Likes

Borderline narcissistic fantasist with learning difficulties?

1 Like

The member for the 18th century is well-educated enought to know he could get away with drawing attention to somebody else’s views and disown them as his own while drawing even more attention to them. This man was brought up and educated in places where ‘dog whistle’ is their first language and plain-speaking English a close second. He knew EXACTLY what the optics were here, and they were exactly what he wanted. And then the BBC were dumb enough to give him a second go at it.

5 Likes