Britons vote to name $287m research ship "Boaty McBoatface"

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning that the names of his ships are even funnier in context. Specifically the role of those ships.

For example General Contact Units (GCUs) - self-aware ships dedicated to the task of exploring the universe and interacting with other species. These have names like “Poke It With A Stick” (Think of the movie “The Blob”) , “Never Talk To Strangers”, “Happy Idiot Talk”, “Undesirable Alien”, “Well I Was In The Neighbourhood” and “Serious Callers Only.”

Or warships with names like “Lapsed Pacifist”, “I Blame The Parents”, “Outstanding Contribution to the Historical Process”, and “A Momentary Lapse Of Sanity.” And of course the Psychopath class warship “Frank Exchange Of Views.”

18 Likes

I was surprised that I was the first to submit “Raymond Luxury Yacht” and “Throatwobbler Mangrove”.

10 Likes

It’s particularly disappointing given the adorable British tradition of grandiose names for their ships like Victory, Revenge, Indomitable, Repulse, Vengeance, and Dreadnought. Those were the days of “Empire Without Irony”.

5 Likes

I like the name. Seriously.

14 Likes

I get a vague feeling B3ta might have had a hand in this… then, on the other hand, there is nothing rude about the name, which detracts from the strength of this hypothesis.

1 Like

Oh you bastard! I was looking for the very same list!

I think this frivolity has got to stop, and all those hooligans who voted for the “Boaty” name should be put on a list.

2 Likes

www.boatymcboatface.co.uk

1 Like

I am quite the character.

12 Likes

Banks’s names were the first thing that came to my mind when I read about this (or naming in general : )

HMRV “It’s only that small because it’s very cold out here”

6 Likes

It is just me or does this name seem like a tamer maritime version of Scrotie McBoogerballs from South Park?

1 Like

Irony-clad, surely?

8 Likes

So, I guess this means the boat is Scottish?

2 Likes

Royal Research Ships should get serious names. Y’know, like Beagle.

6 Likes

Remember, the Brits used to have a warship called ‘Indefatigable’, so anything goes.

4 Likes

And the fascist octopus has sung its swan-song.

1 Like

I would have gone for “Hot Needle of Inquiry”.

5 Likes

James Hand: “Sorry I broke your Internet!”

3 Likes

19 Likes

For endless amusement when the vessel appears in pictures with oil tankers, container ships, etc., I would like to propose R.R.S. I’m With Stupid. This also provides a ready-made name for a future sister ship, R.R.S. I’m With Stupid II.

3 Likes