Brutal working conditions for Qatar Airlines's flight attendants

It’s not just men and women not being able to be in each other’s living spaces after a certain time in the evening…it’s the example of an exhausted flight attendant losing work time (and thus income) to go to a meeting and literally GROVEL because she accidentally set off the smoke alarm when the pan she was cooking a friggin’ egg in went dry.

Imagine having to write an apology to your employer every time you made a mistake in your own home.

1 Like

Qatar Airways is a high-profile sponsor of the weather reports on Sky News (@SkyNews) - maybe Sky can have a word with them if enough people complain?

Are you talking about the flight attendants? Most (probably all) of them are not Qatari citizens. In fact most people in Qatar aren’t citizens and it’s similar throughout other Gulf countries.

EDIT: As for women not being able to travel outside the country (without permission), I’m not sure whether that’s the case or not in Qatar. I believe it is in Oman. Flight attendants and other people on work visas wouldn’t be subject to such laws, but they’d be at the mercy of whoever sponsored their work visa (though this affects males as well).

I dislike that usage of “woman” just about as much as I dislike the use of “female” as a noun. I always want to ask “a female what? a female human, a female chimp, a female shark?” It’s been explained to me how it’s all correct or whatever, because human is implied, but it still sounds wrong to me. Woman = noun. Female = adjective.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.