Helpful infographic of things tourists can't do in Qatar

Originally published at: Helpful infographic of things tourists can't do in Qatar | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I notice that they used two male symbols in #2. Does that mean that they are fine with lesbians?

8 Likes

Criminalizing passive aggressive behavior is sure to follow, but perhaps they haven’t rolled that out bc no designer can depict that adequately.

2 Likes

It isn’t real.

Not that I’m in any way defending that bunch of bigots that run the place.

26 Likes

Oh no, they are after Jeff Goldblum!

And Burt Reynolds (a little risque so I blurred - not sure if BB will download the link or if you have to click)

12 Likes

You have to click.

1 Like

Number 8 isn’t that unreasonable.

3 Likes

They are missing ‘wear any clothes with a rainbow on’ as Welsh fans, especially, will testify.

10 Likes

I´m ignoring this world cup, and that is saying much for me as a German. It is a through and through corrupt event bought by a barbaric, inhumane regime in a country that has absolutely no football and sport culture, held in stadia build by slaves. The last drop was that no beer is allowed in the stadia.
No beer.
In the stadia.
Barbarians.

12 Likes

It probably just means that the authorities never even considered the possibility that women might have sexual desires or identities of their own.

12 Likes

Scariest place I have ever visited (I had to work there for a week).

Superficially all very glossy and wonderful, but then you notice the Sri Lankan labourers queuing up at the airport, having their passports taken away and then being herded on to no air conditioned school buses to be transported out to the Labour camps; the Nepalis working on building sites in the middle of the day when the temperature hits 50C; the taxi drivers who are terrified of the police (who are everywhere); the segregated university campus…

A shame - I met many wonderful Qataris who were infinitely kind and patient; the Museum of Islamic Art is a staggering cultural achievement that deserves to be better known - but I could never go back. Give me the streets of Johannesburg or Nairobi any day of the week.

23 Likes

Why go to Qatar at all, even for the World Cup.

You’re spending money on a “vacation” that you aren’t allowed to enjoy under penalty of punishment if you step out of line. Stub your toe, curse automatically, and spend the night in jail or pay some ridiculous fine.

Good times.

9 Likes

Because people LOVE soccer.

1 Like

I get that, but they need to consider how much of their love is based on getting drunk and cursing and being rowdy while supporting their team.

We’re talking about sports here, not cinema or a crafts fair.

3 Likes

Weirdly, with the exception of #8; this list is the exact opposite of things you must do in Glasgow.

10 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, I should have said, “Any High Street on a Friday Night.” Mea culpa.

2 Likes

I just meant the board of tourism should promote these opportunities :partying_face: :man_dancing: :dancer:

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

“Isn’t real” needs a bit of unpacking, I think. It’s not from the Qatari government (and I don’t think the OP suggested it was), but according to the AP, it is from a Qatari citizens group:

So, I guess the best thing you can say about it is, “It’s not made by the bigots that run the place, just by some of the bigots that live in the place”?

17 Likes