Two days before start of football World Cup, host nation Qatar bans beer sales there

Originally published at: Two days before start of football World Cup, host nation Qatar bans beer sales there | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I’m torn, in that it’s kind of fun seeing both a giant international monopoly and the kind of yobbo fan who’d willingly attend this rotten event in person both getting screwed over jointly by the notoriously authoritarian country and the notoriously corrupt organisation hosting it.

Wine and whisky will still be on hand for luxury ticket holders in their exclusive paddocks, but everyone in the stands will have to go without

It wouldn’t be an Arabian peninsula country if they didn’t top things off with some hypocrisy.

46 Likes

I do hope the Football World Cup is closely followed by the Sueball World Cup.

(Perhaps InBev has a contract it can enforce in the courts or seek damages for the breaking of.)

14 Likes

Yikes, Having to watch soccer sober? That’s inhumane!

31 Likes

31 Likes

Anyone else already feeling sorry for the consular staff who are going to have to do a lot of smoothing over once the forcibly sober football hooligans meet the humorless local security forces and it becomes necessary to try to get them sent home more or less quickly and quietly?

18 Likes

Great, i hope fans wake up to FIFA’s and Qatar’s BS. I doubt it but i can always hope. I’m not even planning on watching any games this year

14 Likes

This might actually do it. I’m sure soccer fans can “tolerate” mistreatment of poor laborers and LGBTQ+ people, but taking away the beer may actually fill the streets (*weeps silently in sliding-into-fascism…*)

30 Likes

Are we sure that the Fyre Festival guy wasn’t put in charge of this event?

16 Likes

I guess since i’m not big into sports i’ll never understand, all i know is if i had the budget to travel there’s so many other awesome places i’d rather see.

10 Likes

They probably are getting sue by FIFA and their sponsors for doing that.
In 2004, for the cup in brazil, after threats from FIFA, a special law, nicknamed “budweiser law”, was passed to allow the selling of alcohol in the stadiums, because it was banned since 2003 to reduce violence.

5 Likes

I can’t imagine that any regular income people can afford to go here. It must be millionaires in the cheap seats & billionaires in the boxes.

12 Likes

The only commentary I can think of is Darth Vader’s line from Empire Strikes Back:

“I am altering the deal, pray I don’t alter it further.”

18 Likes

It’s just a branding issue, easy fix is right there.

2 Likes

So, foamy dirty water?

14 Likes

yes. Bud Light in a new can.

13 Likes

Even BL has 4.2%

This stuff looks like just water with sweetner added.

6 Likes

ok. i was just going by taste.

6 Likes

For when you dont want a buzz, but also don’t want to miss out on the experience of waking up five times a night to piss.

18 Likes

You don’t buy beer, you only rent it…

13 Likes