World Cup "fan village" being compared to disastrous Fyre Festival (video)

Originally published at: World Cup "fan village" being compared to disastrous Fyre Festival (video) | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Total Backrooms vibe.

10 Likes

Anyone who willingly attends this rotten and corrupt event in a rotten and corrupt country deserves exactly these accomodations at the price offered.

Also in this week’s news, the fraudster clown behind the original Fyre Festival debacle is out of prison, off of house arrest, and immediately back to planning his next debacle in the name of “redemption”.

I don’t think there’s been a week when I’ve seen quite so many high-profile grifters – Biff, Putin, Musk, Bankman-Fried, Holmes, McFarland – simultaneously compete for the most headlines. That’s not including shady organisations and nation-states like FIFA and Qatar.

29 Likes

Hey, they don’t get to line their own pockets with cash if they spend money on actual fan accommodations, now do they. The Olympics, the World Cup, all of them are just giant, corrupt money laundering schemes now. Fans and the majority of the people in the cities involved are getting ripped off, while the promoters, the organizers, and the sport governing boards are all making bank.

17 Likes

So, the fans have to take all their stuff with them every morning when they leave? The lack of lock in a solid door in a solid wall suggests so.

Qataris might assume (or not) that nobody would dare steal, but fans will certainly steal from each other given a chance…and they have been given one.

16 Likes

The security and theft would be the main issue for lots of people. But tent accommodations are fairly common at lots of festivals and there are ways to handle that, like having lockers available with security presence.

The main thing is whether or not it was accurately portrayed. If people knew that they were getting a tent on the tarmac, that is different that people who expected a real hotel room with solid walls and doors.

3 Likes

A metal container in the desert with no AC sounds like an attempt to rack up a higher death toll for the World Cup.

14 Likes

Maybe to make up for the bad accommodations they’ll hand out coupons for extra time in the ball pit.

8 Likes

Wow it’s so bad that the videos are showing up for me as flagged for sensitive content

6 Likes

Nah, skeevy promoters have moved on to improperly designed foam pits these days:

7 Likes

It’s too bad that this is virtually certain to be garden variety incompetence and/or not caring much.

Hastily reallocating the migrant slave housing as ‘fan village’ would have had real culture jamming cred.

7 Likes

They’re tents, not metal containers. Which is actually an appropriate form of accomodation in the desert. As long as, as others here have said, the guests know what they’re getting beforehand and appropriate facilities for hygiene and the storage of valuables are provided.

2 Likes

They appeared to be single walled though which I don’t think would work so well.

Glad I’m not even watching it!

5 Likes

#iunderstoodthatreference

7 Likes

Didja see the cardboard beds the athletes were stuck with during the last olympics? OMFG SMH

3 Likes

Nothing will make me happier than seeing this event crash and burn.

8 Likes

Came here to say this. I really don’t understand why anyone would want to go to Qatar.

4 Likes

Ah, I had read it initially as metal shipping containers and tents. Tents make sense. Shipping containers with no ac do not.

2 Likes

That’s what it says in the text, but the videos show only tents. I’m guessing the shipping containers contain the showers and such

4 Likes

When a sandstorm kicks up and you’re in the tent, you’ll probably wish you were in the shipping container.

2 Likes