Qatar hosts Camel Beauty World Cup, assures they are cracking down on painful and disfiguring cosmetic procedures

Originally published at: Qatar hosts Camel Beauty World Cup, assures they are cracking down on painful and disfiguring cosmetic procedures | Boing Boing

I know this probably dates me, but my first thought was “Damn! Camel cigarettes sponsors a beauty contest? I didn’t even know they were still a thing!”
Not sure that the actual thing is not even weirder, but yeah, OK, I guess. Do they compete in mathematical abilities? Because that would be worth seeing!

9 Likes

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my camel.”
– probably not Mark Twain

8 Likes

Best in Show Qatar

Worst movie ever.

3 Likes

Ugh. I had to go and read the article and learn that as I feared “hump augmentation” is of course a thing. I can’t even bring myself to make a Black Eyed Peas reference

5 Likes

This being Qatar my first thought was…

They’ve Put a Brassiere on a Camel

They’ve put a brassiere on a camel,
She wasn’t dressed proper, you know.
So that her humps wouldn’t show.
And they’re making other respectable plans,
They’re even even insisting the pigs should wear pants,
They’ll dress up the ducks if we give them the chance
Since they’ve put a brassiere on a camel.

They claim she’s more decent that way.
The camel had nothing to say.
They squeezed her into it, i’ll never know how,
They say that she looks more respectable now,
Lord knows what they’ve got in mind for the cow,
Since they’ve put a brassiere on a camel.

~Shel Silverstein

6 Likes

These people have far too much free time on their hands.

camels have more rights than the imported slave labor in qatar.

6 Likes

Meanwhile, authorities in Qatar are forcing trans women to get painful and disfiguring cosmetic procedures:

Shahd shows us her hair which she was forced to cut into a masculine style, but does not reveal by whom.

She then unbuttons her shirt to show us wounds on top of her chest.

Shahd says the wounds are the consequence of being arrested for “impersonating a woman”. Authorities told her to remove breast tissue that had formed since she started taking oestrogen, which she got without prescription from another country.

“I lost my job and my friends,” she says.

“I was arrested and interrogated several times because of my identity. I lost everything.”

4 Likes

This is an early front runner for the best sentence I will read this month.

3 Likes

Nah, everyone needs a hobby!

1 Like

I can’t think of an animal that seems to care less about beauty than a camel, but what do I know?

2 Likes

Poor camels!!! :sob:

Back in the 90s, the Yankistani Arabian horse registry faced a similar scandal. The horse world was shocked to learn that one of the biggest & successful-est names in Arabian halter showing (no riding, the horses are sposed to be judged on their movement and conformation) was busted for having plastic surgery performed on horses in his care. I can’t remember for certain, but they probably didn’t even belong to him. It’s a set up like horse racing - your horses live at your trainer’s barn - but instead of racing, they are frightened half to death with whips etc while they dash and prance around in a noisy, overly bright show ring.

He was banned from owning horses, and from having any horses on his property for a number of years. I felt that given such an evil disgrace, it shoulda been permanent. He was also barred from showing for some years.

Animals don’t need this bullshit. :sob:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.