Bug? Liking a root post in the boing group collapses it and makes it unreadable

They’re probably not very good, then:

https://twitter.com/4Dgifts/status/793554938844643328

Android is a disaster, security-wise. It’s ok-ish if you have a new device you bought directly from Google and thus gets official updates fast from the source, but far from great.

The login page is borked for iOS 9.3.5 so I can’t even enter my password on the iPad II

Can you screenshot it? I’m curious what the “borked” means.

When I try to enter the username or password the login dialog disappears off the bottom of the screen … might be able to use a saved password via iCloud but can’t enter anything … is there a video capture app for iOS? I could video it but not screenshot it

You’re willing to judge people you don’t know (who are running custom OSes) based on the twits of other people you don’t know talking about non-customized OSes, and also you prefer to trust people who are running Apple OSes with built-in back doors? To each his own, I guess.

I personally run straight android straight from Google on my tablet, but then again I don’t put anything I care about on my tablet… :shrug:

It’s happening when I reply to a post. I haven’t tried liking.

1 Like

So it is a separate bug then. I’m trying to reproduce it but I can’t seem to do it. Does it happen every time you reply? Is it immediately after the reply, or like 30 seconds later?

2 Likes

[quote=“Medievalist, post:55, topic:86506, full:true”]
You’re willing to judge people you don’t know (who are running custom OSes) based on the twits of other people you don’t know talking about non-customized OSes, and also you prefer to trust people who are running Apple OSes with built-in back doors? To each his own, I guess. [/quote]

As someone who does security for a living, I advocate that people who really want secure to use client-side encryption (like iPGMail), don’t use iCloud, backup to an encrypted removable drive, don’t use biometrics, use two-factor auth, don’t display mesages in the lock screen, and use third-party apps as little as possible.

Most people don’t need to be that careful. 2FA, don’t display messages, no iCloud, and local backups is enough for most people.

If you need a cloud storage option, I’ll trust Apple (who make $0 off of your personal details) over someone like Google who still make the vast majority of their income from mining personal data and details for advertising any day. It doesn’t make them inherently bad actors, but they have a MUCH greater incentive to do things like mine your email, photos and whatnot for marketable data than a company who derives no revenue from such practices.

1 Like

Good advice, and you’ve touched the critical principle - data security is fundamentally an economic and psychological problem.

You have to make it more economically and psychologically attractive for people to not hack your systems, because all security can be defeated by the $5 wrench method. If it’s possible for someone to make eleventy million dollars by hacking my phone, then the costs of hacking my phone need to cause more harm to them than eleventy million dollars is worth.

Security’s one of my professional hats, too.

We need a new thread if we’re going to keep this up, but I’m out for the weekend. Gotta put a new roof on the house and no, that is not a euphemism!

1 Like

It’s happened to me once, as well. When it did, it was the first reply to a fresh topic.

1 Like

so, I’ve seen this happen too, especially the dreaded “GET THE BOING BOING NEWSLETTER” problem where the post text disappears completely. I wish I could find a pattern, though - I’m not sure what’s causing it. But it is happening.

Next time I see it I’ll pay close attention to browser and application states and report more details.

1 Like

Not every time I reply, but it’s immediate. Unlike @nimelennar my replies weren’t to fresh topics, though.

1 Like

Ok… I’ve got what seems to be a pretty solid repro.

1. Highlight text from top post to craft a reply (ETA: This has to be in a topic with collapsible posts like #boing)
  2. Save the post

Result:

Observation: This seems to require replying to a collapsible (“Show full post”) post. I tried the “quote and reply” trick here and it didn’t work. Next time I reply to a top post on a #boing thread I’ll try these exact steps to see if it happens again.

1 Like

Yeah, I just tried quoting the ‘Bonobo’ post and it collapsed, and the ‘read full post’ button was missing

1 Like

Confirmed: quoting the top post causes the whole thing to collapse. I can repro on iOS Safari, too.

2 Likes

Ok there is your repro @eviltrout!

2 Likes

As a complete aside, I was cleaning my bookshelf in my office today and started thumbing through my old and worn out copy of Code Complete.

That’s when I finally realized where I recognized your avatar from.

5 Likes

Thanks for the hint towards quoting. It took a long time to fix but I have a fix ready:

It will be available the next time we deploy bbs.

4 Likes

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.