Bugs with the new BBS system

I caught the flu on Monday so it took a little longer to fix than expected, but ithe fix is ready and t should be rolled out today. Thanks again for the detailed report.

2 Likes

hey, no problem. I’m here to help.

also, I was only mad for a minute. I was fine by the time Jeff and then you replied. I kinda like my new choice for a profile pic better anyhow.

I’m having the same problem, but with EFF’s HTTPSEverywhere extension–has anyone written a rule to keep it from fudging up the display? Generally speaking, I get small boxes instead of various icons:

Hi all.

In the process of fixing that profile background thingy, you’ve dropped some info from the pop-up box that appears when you click on someone’s name in their posts:

You can now no longer see the “Joined, last post, seen” info, and getting to it takes a few clicks into the profile. This is a drawback when it comes to flagging suspicious posts, because it makes it harder to spot bots or trolls who have just joined up to post in that topic.

2 Likes

oooh, well spotted. I never flag before I check on that info. We need that back into the user expansion field (or however it’s called.)

BUT, thanks for tweaking the font/background colors, that bit works great now :^)

If you post a post.

Then edit and save the edit

Then decide that your edit was stupid, so you edit it again, to remove the edit, essentially reverting to the originally posted post.

Discourse sez:

I would expect this behavior if I was double-posting; that is, in two separate posts. But not in edits to the same post.

WORKAROUND: add good ol’   (that blockhead!)

Why can’t I put a link on an image? Is that intentional?

e.g. I want to put an xkcd image in a thread.

xkcd specifically gives you the image url for hotlinking.

But if I take said image link and put it inside a link back to the source page (which seems like good manners to me -particularly since discourse downloads copies of images and breaks the link back), this happens, and I get the text instead of the image. Which also provides something that looks like a link to one place, but goes somewhere totally different. Which seems bad.

Ooh, interesting.

It works, but only after the system downloads the images.

1 Like

Perhaps the easiest way to do it is via the image dialog:

(the styling is a little off here, I need to fix…)

Also, drag or import image, get image hosting location through right click, use that URL for image source then append destination URL in the wizard or careful formatting

I’m not seeing comments on my ipad 3, using ios8.1and safari. They do appear if I use chrome, but I much prefer Safari.This change started happening last night.

So the suggested topics at the bottom seem a bit screwed up. They are listing the topics I have unread comments in, but it’s misidentifying them as new topics, and the comment count is off (often it just says 1).

Sorry, the version we had deployed was a little buggy.

Try again now as @eviltrout just deployed latest.

took me a sec… 【ツ】

Why does my profile say I’m called “daneel null” now?

Sorry about that, we upgraded Ember and it caused some issues… reverted for now, @eviltrout will work on it more tomorrow!

Upon reading this topic, it will be quite clear that I posted without reading the article-- slashdot style.

But that’s because I was reading boingboing from the bbs, not the bbs from boingboing. Normally this works. Not today.

That can happen if the underlying post content The Show Full Post… button is retrieving is malformed HTML or otherwise weird.

just curious, but is that to say the poster of the topic fouled the HTML? I would’ve thought the link was written automatically.

just noticed the emoji are listed in the composer now. :thumbsup: this is new, or have I been blind to it?

wait, no :neckbeard: anymore?! this is an outrage! :stuck_out_tongue: seriously, I can understand not listing them all here, but why disable the whole stable we used to have available (shown at www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com, which either you or Sam directed me to) ?

:chart_with_downwards_trend:

edit: as I suspected, it removed them anywhere they had previously been posted (second to last word in this 'cap was the particular emoji in question):

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know the provenance of neckbeard. A better resource is

Don’t think that one is “standard” emoji.