Bugs with the new BBS system

I seem to be permanently stuck with 1 unread thread, but when I click on the unread tab it says no unread threads :S

I just got an email from the BBS, subject ā€œ[Boing Boing BBS] Forum Activity for 10-18-2013ā€. I didnā€™t really want any emails from the board so I went to the bottom for the unsubscribe link. Unfortunately, there was text to unsubscribe but no actual link. This is exactly what was at the bottom of the email:

This summary email is sent as a courtesy notification from [Boing Boing BBS][1] when we havenā€™t seen you in a while. To unsubscribe [click here][102].

It looks like there are some kind of footnote numbers or something next to the links in that section, but they werenā€™t clickable, either. That line was the end of the email. The email was otherwise full of clickable links to the BBS, just not to unsubscribe. This seems bad. I tried showing images and that didnā€™t fix it, the only image was the BBS logo at the top of the email.

Sorry if this has been reported before. I tried searching for ā€œunsubscribeā€ and didnā€™t get any hits, so I presumed that it hadnā€™t been posted about, but maybe I didnā€™t search hard enough.

1 Like

Weā€™ve fixed this bug. It was related to markdown. Sorry!

I noticed that when I do quote-reply the button is sometimes hidden like so:

It happens with both Firefox 24.0 and Chrome 30.0.1599.101 (on Windows 7).

Sure, I just checked in a change to set the z-index on that to 401 so itā€™s over the in-reply-to badge.

1 Like

Noticed that one too while I was browsing:

To Repro:

1. Click on a new topic (with blue asterisk)
  2. Click on the BBS logo
  3. Click on Unread(1)
    Expected: An unread topic or no number next to the tab.
    Actual: ā€œYou have no new topicsā€

A full page refresh fixes this issue. (f5 on the page)

I thought that if I went to the top of a thread (like shown below) and clicked on a personā€™s icon that I would be able to view only their replies.

Am I remembering incorrectly or did this really disappear? It does not work in Firefox (with or without any extensions) or Chrome.

Sorry this looks like a regression. Iā€™ll fix soon!

edit: Itā€™s fixed now, thanks for reporting it.

1 Like

yesterday I tried to reply as a new topic and it didnā€™t work. it created a new thread but it didnā€™t make a link off to the side of the post I was replying to. I know iā€™ve done it in the past with my regular browser, though (firefox latest.) Iā€™ll try to make one from this post as a test. anyone else noticed this?

edit: OK, so no problems this time. I guess I goofed it somehow.

OK, separate issue was that I couldnā€™t delete the topic that I goofed up like how there is a delete post button and I had to flag it and explain the mistake to the mods. I guess thatā€™s a design point but: is it on purpose so that OP canā€™t wipe out the community response if they donā€™t get the kind of reply they want? If so, can we have a temp button to delete threads as long as thereā€™s no replies yet?

EDIT 2: I think I figured out the problem:

maybe because thereā€™s no text in dacree's post, my topic isnā€™t coming up as a reply to him?

I canā€™t reproduce that problemā€¦ Whenever I clicked Reply as new Topic, the composer has a quote with the youtube link in it. I never get an empty composer like in your screenshot.

Hi,

Iā€™ve got another problem now:

Firefox 25.0.1

BBS now completely fails to load. I just get the title bar, then a blank screen.

As you can see, I had to log in via chrome to send this.

There has been a recent change the affected Firefox and is being worked on and should hopefully be fixed soon.

Sorry about that, ā€œminorā€ bug with a JavaScript regular expression. Firefoxā€¦ did not like it. At all.

Thanks for the update. Iā€™m back now.

The post counter is behaving kind of strangely for me:

I have seen this sort of thing in multiple topics.

Confirmed and incepted here cc @eviltrout

This is fixed now, thanks for reporting it.

dog, wtf? Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s been doing it for urls of pics I post for a while, now it just batch processed all the ones Iā€™ve ever posted? it never used to do this

If you click the pencil on the post itself (on the upper right), it will explain.

The rationale is, images that arenā€™t mirrored become broken images. Over a long enough time this leads to broken posts because the necessary image is not there.

Discourse is designed to lead to a better Internet, not a broken one.

got it. so you just ran like a batch process (?terminology) over the last few hours?